WWQP Bulletin Board

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Saving Little Pieces - I Bet You Do It Too!!! LOL

Lavinia left a comment about my small doll quilt and said, "What a wonderful job you did to save these precious pieces."

Upon reading her comment, I thought to myself, "Those really weren't the Littlest Pieces I've saved!" I've saved even smaller pieces, and I'll bet that a bunch of BBers have done the same. Admit it! Fess up!

I once had a pint jar full of little snipped dog-ears that I trimmed from stitching and pressing triangle shaped pieces. Do you have any idea how long it takes to save up a PINT of tiny dogears? They were very pretty in a vintage canning jar. I did the same with tiny snipped strips when I trimmed the edges of blocks to a straight edge. Talk about compulsive behavior! That's truly compulsive! LOL

And while Judy in Ohio is saving 1.5 inch wide selvedge pieces to try a new quilty idea, I've been saving 5/8 inch selvedge strips for years, rolling them into balls and using them when I needed a sturdy tie. They're great for tying a box securely - a box that will be stored in the basement. Or they're great for tying tomato plants to a stake. You get the drift.

So what kinds of CQD (Compulsive Quilting Disorder) do the rest of you quilters have? I'd hate to think I am alone in my weirdness. LOL
JudyPete
.

3 Comments:

  • At August 21, 2008 at 4:47 AM , Blogger Lavinia said...

    I didn't comment because they were little, but because of their history (smile). Keep up the good work!

     
  • At August 21, 2008 at 8:39 PM , Blogger NancyH said...

    Judy-Pete - I do the same things you do so either we're both nuts or we're ok! I saw a "hint" once that you could give fellow quilters little jars filled with those snippets and label them "Quilt Jelly" - Yes, I did that for Christmas once. And I've been saving my selvedges also - wrapping them around a big plastic spindle. It's amazing how they come in handy - I tie by bags of batting closed (hate twist ties!), hubby uses them to tie up tomato plants. When I remove the selvedges from my backing fabric (or any other big piece) I like to tear it off - it's always straight that way. Keep on snipping and saving........NancyH

     
  • At August 21, 2008 at 9:13 PM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    Hi, Lavinia, I agree about the pieces being precious and it was indeed fun to find this little 'sample' set of vintage fabrics. Some might think I should have left them as is, but I couldn't resist using them in a little quilt.
    BTW, glad to see that your lovely quilt has won more prizes!!! That is so coooool!
    JudyPete

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home