WWQP Bulletin Board

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My Dolly Has a Vintage Postage Stamp Quilt

A couple years ago I found these vintage shirting fabric samples in a box of linens purchased at an auction. A tiny tag indicated they were samples of fabric sold by Davidson Brothers Company, a department store established in Sioux City, Iowa in 1884. The potential buyer (who probably sewed nearly every shirt and dress worn by her family) could thumb through the samples and choose which ones she would purchase, either at the store or mail order. These samples probably date to about 1900 or thereabouts.

I've previously posted a photo of the partially completed top but now the quilt is finished and I thought you would like to see it in its completed form.

Every scrap in this quilt is vintage fabric, no repros. The darker fabrics were gleaned from vintage scraps or from poorly constructed vintage quilt blocks. Even the binding was pieced from itty-bittyscraps measuring no more than 4 or 5 inches square.

For the backing I dug out an old flour or sugar sack and cut a piece to size. Batting is 100 percent cotton.

I'm not a doll collector but when I spotted this American Girl doll at a yard sale I couldn't resist bringing her home. She looks perfect with this quilt (even if she is new! LOL).
.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home