WWQP Bulletin Board

Monday, August 4, 2008

Guess I lucked out

(Never Seen Any Famous Quilter Live and In Person) . Guess I am a very lucky person, then. When the quilting interest first began, the guilds in South Florida had Michael James, Virginia Avery, Ginny Beyer, Chris Wolfe Edmonds, and more whose names escape me right now. Had classes with all these wonderful people.

I was a Florida "delegate" to the First Continental Quilt Congress in Arlington, VA in 1978. It was an exciting time! (Remember that Holice Turnbow played Benjamin Franklin, which I have mentioned before, and I sent him all my pictures of him a couple years ago -- hey Holice you'll have to post one). Most memorable quilt of the time: Washington at Valley Forge by Chris Edmonds. There I also met Karey Bresenhan, who started the quilt festival in Houston which is now International, and it took me 25 years to be able to afford to go (I used my first Social Security check to pay for the plane ticket, LOL). Unfortunately was in a car wreck 12 days before, so didn't get to enjoy it to its fullest. Also at the Congress so many others we met: Elly Sienkiewicz, Marcia Aasmunstad and on and on.

After that, the Ray of Light by Ginny Beyer won $10,000 in the first (I think) magazine contest (was it Good Housekeeping?) and quilting was on the move for good. In 1996 we moved to Tennessee, where I was treated to meeting Ami in Chattanooga (Worst Quilt in the World lecture and contest), and there were quilts lying down a corridor which happened to be on the way to the ladies room. I spied a grandmother's flower garden made of giant hexagons and went nuts over it, so needless to say it didn't get the title of "Worst Quilt in the World."

More recently at Knoxville I finally met Merikay Waldvogel, whose historical works I have most admired for years. And last but not least, Mary Lou Weidman, who changed my life forever with her whimseys (for want of a better description, and it is only meant with total love) at a time when I had been going to give up quilting after the Pigeon Forge fray (my quilt has won eight more ribbons btw, including Best of Show, two firsts, a Judges Choice and a Peoples Choice). I have not met, but love the work of Hollis Chatelaine (hope I spelled her name right) of Western North Carolina (saw The Blue Men in person at Houston that year).

Sorry this is so long, but I have been really blessed to meet and learn from the world's wonderful quilters. To single one out is impossible -- each has his or her own particular talent, and thank God they are willing to share with us. Love to all, Lavinia-TN

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home