WWQP Bulletin Board

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Never Seen Any Famous Quilter Live and In Person

Jill's comment about being lucky to learn from so many well-known quilters in person made me a bit envious ... I have never seen any famous quilter "in the flesh". I've seen them on television (via Simply Quilts) and on my computer monitor (via The Quilt Show) but I think Jill was leaping to a conclusion when she thought I was referring to being influenced by famous quilters by seeing them in person. It's all been through purchasing and reading books. (Well, I did meet Ted Storm once but that was not a class, that was a social event.)

I've never had a class or attended a seminar from a famous teacher because I am not in a guild and I live in a rinky-dink small town. As a matter of fact I was totally ignorant of anyone named Sharyn Craig until Jill posted about her on the BB. Looked Sharyn up by googling the name and realized I am ignorant of her because her style is not the type of quilting I am interested in.

Judy

1 Comments:

  • At August 3, 2008 at 10:26 PM , Blogger Jean at Mill Bay said...

    Hey, Judy!

    I, too, live in a sort of rural area (I love it here so I won't say it is rinky-dink) and I only occasionally am able to attend a guild meeting in a town 45 minutes away. But I have taken classes from an amazing assortment of top quilters including Ms Fallert and Ms Buckley -- by signing up for classes at the major quilt shows from time to time. For this country girl of modest means from the West Coast of Canada to get to shows like Houston and Paducah is a serious expense and a once in a lifetime experience, so I like to pack every minute of my time there with something wonderful. Every one of those classes has been wonderful and every one of those shows has provided a lifetime of inspiration! I encourage you to try to do such a trip at least once. :)

    Jean

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home