WWQP Bulletin Board

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I'm Older Than Some of You And I Am Moving Towards Cleaning Out!


I'm older than some of you (if you think I'm going to reveal my vintageness, you've got another think coming) and due to some recent health issues, I've begun looking at my sewing closet in a different way. I'm thinking more these days of down-sizing. And so when a friend had a recent birthday (perfect excuse!) I sent her this quilt. (Click for a closer view.) This friend has a perfect place to send this penguin inspired quilt that I made in the 1990s from a remnant of penguin fabric found on a sale table. I couldn't believe that I had no photos of the quilt so I took photos before mailing it to her. (The quilt really is square. I pinned it to the drapes rather haphazardly for this photo!)

I named this quilt "Fifth Day" as in Genesis, ch 1, wherein the fish and birds were created. (Did you know that penguins are birds?)

Why did I send off such a cute nap quilt? Because it had sat folded on my closet shelf for over ten years...what a waste. Now it will be used by friend's grandchildren ... and I hope they don't get into a tug of war as to whose turn it is to use it. Why not give it to my own grandchildren? Because I've given them other quilts and I couldn't think of a better home than the one I chose.

Hmmmmm....now, what to do with that lemon-colored quilt that I made about the same year...I have never had a lemon-colored bedroom and this quilt, too, sits unused. LOL

5 Comments:

  • At March 3, 2009 at 3:49 PM , Blogger lonna in wi said...

    What a pretty quilt. do I see flying geese in some strips?? You didn't piece them did you?? They look very tiny. Interesting addition to a log cabin.

     
  • At March 3, 2009 at 3:51 PM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    Yes, Lonna, tiny flying geese as well as tiny tropical fish. Paper pieced. And I hate paper piecing. LOL

     
  • At March 3, 2009 at 6:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Lovely, Do you want my address in case you have trouble getting rid of another beauty?

     
  • At March 3, 2009 at 7:23 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    My DDIL has collected penguins since she was a teenager ... their family Christmas tree is decorated with penguin ornaments exclusively and I have made them a penguin-themed Christmas tree skirt. My six year old twin granddaughters (who have pieced a very primitive quilt of squares on my Singer 201-2) will indeed be thrilled with this wonderful quilt that has hundreds of pieces of penguins all over it. JudyPete chose wisely when she decided to thin out her inventory ....

    Judy in Ohio

     
  • At March 3, 2009 at 11:23 PM , Blogger judy in ar said...

    Judy in Ohio--I would love to see a pic of the penguin tree skirt. I also collect penguins and have a brass/gold armed Christmas tree that I leave out year round displaying all my penguin ornaments. It is getting a little crowded. . .I have stuffed penguins in one of my doll cribs in my living room. I have a couple penguin quilt patterns & several pieces of penguin fabric but haven't decided what to do with them yet.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home