WWQP Bulletin Board

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Now I Can Find What I Am Looking For .....

Since we moved to this house in 1996 my fabrics have been stored in bins, baskets and drawers, folded neatly but hidden away in dark cubbyholes where I had a hard time finding what I knew I had. It was annoying and aggravating to know that I had a fabric with scrumptious strawberries on it but yet I couldn't find it ....

Last year I received an inheritance and I resolved to spend some of the money on a dream system I had read about called "Fabric Organizers" (which you can find by doing a google search). There are two different systems of these plastic gizmos, one a bit larger than the other and I opted for the ones that measure 10" x 14" to wrap my fabrics around. It took a long time to wrap my fabrics (it was quite tedious) and it took a long time for the builder to build the shelves (he had illnesses in his family) but eventually it all came together and today was the day I happily ran up and down a ladder "shelving" my fabrics like a demented librarian with a new bunch of books .....

Now I can find that fabric with the strawberries on it ... it's with the other "garden" fabrics. LOL

7 Comments:

  • At February 26, 2009 at 6:54 AM , Blogger Laura in Alabama said...

    I love the library look!

     
  • At February 26, 2009 at 9:18 AM , Blogger Mary in Oregon said...

    Judy,
    What a nice looking library of fabric! I visited a woman who had used those 'boards' and loved the idea of being able to see one's fabrics. I'm so pleased you were able to do this for yourself!
    Enjoy, Mary in Oregon

     
  • At February 26, 2009 at 10:17 PM , Blogger Margaret from Long Island, NY said...

    Wow! That system has the look of a well-organized quilt store. Kind of makes my shoved in a closet mis-matched, crammed full storage containers look like a bargain basement. Think it's time for a bit of rearranging. Thanks for the inspiration.

     
  • At February 26, 2009 at 10:45 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    It's nice to know that I am setting a good example for my peer group ... it's about time!! LOL

    I'll admit I was hesitant at first about the cost of these pieces of "plastic" but then I decided that I was worth it, that it was my inheritance and that for once in my life I was going to indulge myself on something that was for ME. The expense of this set-up certainly wasn't as expensive as a diamond bauble and it certainly is a lot more fun .... :-)

     
  • At February 27, 2009 at 2:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow Judy, I am impressed!!!!!

    I tried to do something similar a long time ago with folded stacks of fabric on a bookshelf...disaster.

    Good for you for enjoying yourself here and now!

    Celeste in Ohio

     
  • At February 28, 2009 at 6:15 PM , Blogger AnnieB said...

    When we remodeled our basement into a quilting room I was able to create lots of great fabric storage space.

    Feel free to take a look.

    http://www.highplainsquilting.com/quilting_blog.php

    Annie B.

     
  • At March 4, 2009 at 12:06 AM , Blogger Shelley: the Dread Pirate Rodgers said...

    Wow, Judy .. what an awesome storage system! Isn't that just the ultimate in eye candy? I have my folded similarly but without the core that you use.

    One note of caution so that what happened to me doesn't happen to you inadvertently. Like your shelves, my shelves are open and direct sunlight never hits it.

    I have a lovely piece of black background fabric with multi-colored "things" on it. The black fabric sat, folded on my shelf for a long time ... along with all the other fabrics. That one piece of fabric developed severe sun fading exactly along the fold line. Since it was never in direct sunlight, I can only surmise it was simply "light" that did damage along the fold line.

    I now have a white sheet hanging in front of my shelves. It serves double duty: not only does it hide the fabric from light but also serves as my design wall.

    Just a note of caution, my friend.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home