WWQP Bulletin Board

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

more comfort quilts

I may have told this story before but it changed my thinking about charity quilts.
I was helping make quilts for an organization called Babies in Need. I was really doing
it more to be with my quilting friends & kind of thought charity quilts were a waste of
time. The director of the organization came & she explained what they did & she told
this little story to us.
She was visiting one of the resale shops that honors the gift cards put in the package which
is given to low income Moms when they leave the hospital. They receive coupons for diapers , baby clothes, usually a car seat & of course a hand made quilt.
There was a new Mom using her card & talking to the sales clerk about the gift she had received from Babies in Need . She showed the clerk her new baby & said to her "Someone made this quilt just for my baby"
Well, it gave me a whole new perspective about charity quilting! It does make a difference to many recipients that someone thought enough to spend the time to provide comfort to those in need. So if one charity quilt ends up in a dog house there are probably 20 more that are providing warmth & comfort to a veteran, or a child with cancer, or someone like Judy with a
very sore tummy! So keep up the good work everyone! Jill

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home