WWQP Bulletin Board

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I was also remembering the pillowcase instructions from this site a couple (maybe 4 or 5 years) ago. When I couldn't find the instructions that I know I copied, I searched and found the closest to what I remembered as the "sausage" method was detailed at http://vickiwelsh.typepad.com/field_trips_in_fiber/2007/05/pillowcases.html

The only thing that I did differently, as per the original directions was make the side and bottom seams a "French seam". In other words, I sewed the side and bottom seam wrong sides together first, then turned it, pressed it and sewed the seams again with wrong sides together completely finishing the seams. If I had a serger, I probably would have serged the seams intead.

I couldn't help thinking that when I learned French and flat felled seams in HS home ec, it was always related to garment sewing. Then when I swore that I would never make another garment, I thought I would never have to remember those finishing touches again. Who knew!

Laurel (from Florida, much warmer than Iowa!)

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At January 22, 2009 at 1:20 PM , Blogger Jill from Portland said...

    I love the sausage method too.
    It's makes the cases so professional looking.
    I do a french seam too, so that they wear well.
    I have noticed though that some of the fabrics are getting a bit narrower creating a smaller case :(
    ....pillows get bigger, fabric gets smaller!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home