WWQP Bulletin Board

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Recycled Cotton Shirt Quilt from the past!

Today while digging through my basket(s) of recycled shirt fabrics look what I found! I betcha I finished this top about three years ago. And it was like Christmas to find it again, having forgotten all about it.

I'll be using part of a new (purchased on sale for $12) Ralph Lauren cotton sheet for the backing. Perfect color. Perfect fabric.

And I'll be machine quilting it on my Singer 201 which I named "Leona" after my neighbor, its previous owner.

I hope you can see the red tartan plaids that I carefully cut. Some on the grain. Some on the diagonal. This was great fun to put together, sorta like mindless piecing with careful trimming of the completed blocks to insure same size.

For your viewing pleasure!

And in spite of having two baskets of shirts...I'm always susceptible to buying more. I found two this week at the local thrift shop on sale for 25 cents each. A bargain until I washed them and the red one bled. Tossed it out. Now out of the two, I have ONE 50-cent shirt. lol

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At June 19, 2010 at 10:44 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Handsome quilt top, very handsome indeed! How will you quilt it ... what pattern?

     
  • At June 20, 2010 at 12:37 PM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

    This is just beautiful!
    I can't believe you made it out of old shirts. Wow.
    Did you use white shirts too, or did you buy some quilt-shop whites?
    Sara

     
  • At June 20, 2010 at 8:34 PM , Blogger judy in ar said...

    Every time I see a plaid shirt at yard sales or thrift shops, I think of you and all your shirting quilt tops. I saw one once made of blues and blue chambray was the sashing, so pretty and quick--I think it was a four patch. Always thought I'd like to make one of those, but it just got added to that list in my head. LOL

     
  • At June 20, 2010 at 10:50 PM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    Judy, I will be machine quilting, using a Hobbs 80/20 batt. Swirly, free-motion lines.

    And, Sara, each and every fabric in this quilt top is from a blouse or shirt. 100 Percent cottons.

     
  • At June 21, 2010 at 6:13 PM , Blogger Phyllis in Minnesota said...

    I always enjoy seeing you "shirt quilts" and it always makes me giggle when I think about quilt fabric @ $10.00 a yd. vs. lightly used shirts @ 25 cents. You go girl!!
    I also make kids quilts for Linus and just did a group labeling session on Sat. with close to 300 quilts. Living in Minnesota we got a lot of fleece quilt but also get some cotton beauties. Check us out at the PL website under Greater Twin Cities group.
    Keep on quilting, Phyllis in Mn.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home