WWQP Bulletin Board

Monday, June 7, 2010

It's finally finished!





I finally finished the king-size quilt for my DS & DIL! They've been stationed overseas since 2001 and I promised it would be finished by the time they returned to the States. Luckily, they reinlisted several times! They are returning this summer. It was started in 2002 - that's when I cut out all the pieces. I machine pieced the blocks over a period of time, in between other projects. Then the blocks were assembled and the border attached. That was about 4 years ago maybe. I basted it and put it on a frame in my dining room, but just didn't work on it very often. After about 2 years, I finally took it off the frame, stuffed it into a huge plastic shopping bag, and started working on it with a hoop on my lap. Last summer we found out they would be coming back this year, so I got serious about getting it finished. It's the only quilting I've done since last Fall. It's pretty cumbersome trying to quilt a king-size on your lap - I'd pull out a section and get it in the hoop and stuff the rest back in the bag. I never really knew how much I had left to do, so it was a surprise when I found I had done the last block! The border went quickly. I had marked the border in pencil all those years ago and the marks were still there! The blocks were marked as I went along. So I just HAD to show it off. I sent them pictures and they are very well-pleased (good thing too, because I'm not doing this again!). I know I asked some questions and advice about this quilt along the way and I thank all of you who helped me! NancyH

3 Comments:

  • At June 8, 2010 at 8:35 AM , Blogger Jane in NC said...

    Wow, Nancy. Congratulations. What a wonderful home coming gift. You've inspired me as I've only been working on my DD & DSIL wedding quilt, CA king size, for about eighteen months.

    Jane in NC

     
  • At June 8, 2010 at 12:54 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Very, very handsome quilt! I am so happy for you that you stuck with it and got that quilt done in time for their homecoming. Congratulations and you win the WWQP BB Grand Prize for Perseverance for the 21st Century.

    Judy

     
  • At June 8, 2010 at 7:58 PM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    Well done! What a very nice home-coming gift. And thanks for letting us see the finished quilt!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home