WWQP Bulletin Board

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Merely Blocks Pinned to Design Wall



This is not a completed quilt .... it is not even a completed quilt top yet. But it is something I've been having so much fun with that I am eager to share my version of an adult "I Spy" that I am making for my daughter's Christmas gift. My DD is 37 years old and she has asked for a new couch quilt to replace the one I made for her college graduation gift, a quilt that is old and tired and doesn't go with her decor any more. The color scheme she chose was red, white and black. The design was my choice but "contemporary" was the style because her condo is done up in contemporary furnishings. I have a collection of black and white print FQs I have purchased on impulse over the years and they were perfect for this project .... prints with music and jigsaw puzzle designs and crossword puzzles and newspaper articles and butterflies and all kinds of things that interest my DD and me.

Life has been stressful lately (DH was facing back surgery) and so I didn't want this quilt to be too fussy, too demanding, too "matchy-matchy" and with DD's permission I went with a "wonky" string block where I could sort of slap and stitch in a carefree fashion. These blocks are the result. I am calling this quilt "Sparkle" because DD adds joy to our lives and because JudyPete of the BB suggested "Sparkle Plenty" when she first saw some of the blocks.

Judy

8 Comments:

  • At August 22, 2008 at 12:30 AM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

    This is my third attempt at posting a comment ! My computer keeps flicking off- line, for no apparent reason . Just wanted to say that I love the quilt top and that I'm sure your DD will too. It certainly does "sparkle", so it is well named. Love the fabrics.....just shows, we need to buy them when we see them .. You never know when you'll need them !

    Marion.

     
  • At August 22, 2008 at 7:03 AM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    You're right, Marion .... some of those black and white prints are probably eight or nine years old. And I merely used a few inches from each FQ so I didn't harm my "collection" at all. LOL

    Judy

     
  • At August 22, 2008 at 8:06 AM , Blogger Beth in TN said...

    Love the quilt, Judy! Black/white/red has always been one of my favorite color combos. This type of string quilt is how I often use up scraps--I've made at least a half-dozen quilts this way, using muslin as a foundation. Sometimes I don't add batting but count the muslin as my middle layer--add just a backing--makes a great summer-weight quilt!

     
  • At August 23, 2008 at 7:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Judy,

    It's been a while since I have visited this group, maybe 2 yrs., but I definately remember you helping people all the time.

    Love the quilt and I can't understand how the red sparkles like a diamond!! Is it the type of fabric,,or because of the black?

    I purchased quite a few bags of scraps from a lady who used to sell them on this site, but find it hard to make a pattern out of it. Most of the scrap quilt books use a repeat of the same fabric, but if you just have 1 fq of each fabric, it is kind of hard.

     
  • At August 25, 2008 at 4:16 PM , Blogger QM Judy said...

    Very nice. Let's see. A strip block with red center, black-and-white middles, and red triangles.
    Very simple and very effective.
    Kudos!
    Are you a member of the Hearstrings online group?
    QM Judy

     
  • At August 25, 2008 at 4:16 PM , Blogger QM Judy said...

    Very nice. Let's see. A strip block with red center, black-and-white middles, and red triangles.
    Very simple and very effective.
    Kudos!
    Are you a member of the Hearstrings online group?
    QM Judy

     
  • At August 26, 2008 at 10:02 AM , Blogger lonna in wi said...

    I love the looks of the quilt top and being contemporary in decor, I think it's fitting. I made on in the same colors for my grandson's birthday only in the log cabin design on the diagonal. He loves dogs and found some dog prints and the border has dog "language". LONNA IN WI

     
  • At August 26, 2008 at 10:26 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    No, QM Judy, I am not a member of Hearstrings online group. (Heartstrings?) I think I have heard of it, though, but I am not sure.

    Judy

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home