WWQP Bulletin Board

Sunday, August 3, 2008

top 3

this is a great thread, and i really like the idea that we aren't "hiding" our responses. more like the old BB days ;)

my first and most influential quilter is certainly sharyn craig. i was fortunate enough to know her in her very early years when she began as a teacher of adult education. those were great years and i have always taken advantage of any opportunity to hear her lecture. earlier this year i took a workshop and just signed up for a class with her at road to california in 2009, her last hurrah before retiring. she taught me to draft, accuracy, setting designs, and so much more. certainly she is the MOST inspirational quilter in my life.

altho not a "favorite" teacher, i have to say that eleanor burns makes my list also. my very first quilt class was based on her log cabin book and taught at a stretch & sew store. they lost a very good customer after that as i found my place in the quilting world. i've made several quilts from her books since then, and altho they are no longer challenging for me they did make quilting accessible to me at a time when quilting was not as popular as it has become today.

a third person is very difficult to choose because i have been influenced by so many other top-notch quilters. i'm a "techniques" person, and gravitate towards new and different ways to accomplish the ordinary. and i'm also very traditional in the type of quilt that catches my interest. because of this, i'm going to have to say that probably barbara brackman will have to be my third choice. my interest in quilt history has led me to appreciate the work and research that has been done in this field and she is probably one of the best known and authoritative names in that venue. i value her commitment and contribution to accurate information.

so those are my top 3, but i love the humor and free spirit of ami and mary ellen; the preciseness of sally collins, judy mathison, and marsha mccloskey; and the patterns of ruby mckim and nancy page.

dutchrose ---{-@

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home