WWQP Bulletin Board

Monday, January 21, 2008

Need some help!

I have a feeling someone will be able to help me with a problem. I want to take 2 square pieces of fabric right sides together, draw a diagonal line and sew 1/4" from each side of the drawn line, cut on the drawn line and come up with 2 squares. My problem is the math formula with which to cut those original squares in order to come up with a specific size square. I know I read the answer here many years ago, but of course forgot it and didn't write it down.
I have been having a "quilting drought" since making a number of Christmas presents but found a pattern in McCalls for a Valentine wall hanging I'm making for granddaughters. Decided to make a committment and that would force me to get going. At least I hope it works! LOL
Thanks so much for any help, Phyllis in Minnesota where it has been chilly

4 Comments:

  • At January 21, 2008 at 12:41 PM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    I believe the formula is to add 7/8 inch to the Finished size of the half-square-triangle block. If you want the HST to be 3 inches after sewn (3.5 inches cut size), then add 7/8 to the 3 to get 3-7/8. Make one and try it. I generally add a full inch, rather than the 7/8 inch. Then I use a square ruler to trim to an EXACT size. Tedious, but accurate.
    Best,
    JudyPete

     
  • At January 21, 2008 at 3:20 PM , Blogger judy in ar said...

    That's the formula I also use. And I also make it a full inch and trim to fit. Much better than coming up that much short!!!

     
  • At January 21, 2008 at 11:04 PM , Blogger Phyllis in Minnesota said...

    As I was typing my question I had a feeling it would be answered by one of the Judys but when both of you agree on the same measurement and then trim it back for perfection, I know it will work! Thanks always for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us
    Phyllis

     
  • At January 21, 2008 at 11:31 PM , Blogger quilter522 said...

    I agree 100% Can trim from the "add 1 inch" method. The other thing it will allow you to compensate if they get a little stretchy and pulled a bit crooked.
    Not that you asked, but while we're on the subject, I think the formula for quarter square triangles is to add 1 1/4" -- same "trick" of a generous cut applies & then you trim to perfection! Harriet

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home