WWQP Bulletin Board

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Bindings


I'm glad to see that quilters are not afraid to use easy methods to bind a quilt. Using the sewing machine speeds things up considerably on that last stage of quilt making and the finished binding can be decorative as well as dependably sturdy.
However, I'm currently working on a project where I am attaching a binding by hand. Years ago on the BB, Doni from Kansas told me about using the "ladder stitch" to attach binding. I had been using a tiny slip stitch but my stitches were visible and not always even. I was amazed at how well this ladder stitch works. I make three or four stitches, leaving them loose as I make each one. When I have 3 or 4 done, I pull the thread up gently snug. One stitch in the binding, one in the Q, one in the binding, one in the Q. In the photo I've left more than I usually put in at one time simply to show you how they look.

What I'm saying is this ... if you wish to do hand binding, and if you wish the stitches to be invisible, the ladder stitch is much more easily done and much more invisible than a hem stitch or slip stitch.
Now, I hope someone will post a photo for us of using a decorative machine stitch on their binding. I may dig out my zigzag machine for my next binding job.

JudyPete

1 Comments:

  • At November 1, 2007 at 7:44 AM , Blogger Beth in TN said...

    Judy Pete, thanks for posting this idea. I, too, have struggled to make my binding tacking invisible. It's the only part of a quilt that I do by hand--I enjoy handwork, but have limited hand flexibility for it (had to give up knitting, cross-stitch, etc.) I'm gonna try this method next time.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home