WWQP Bulletin Board

Sunday, October 28, 2007

BINDING

The last charity quilt I did needed binding to be done quickly so I just improvised. I prepared the usual double fold binding and sewed its raw edge to the back as I was in the habit of doing in the front. I turned it, mitering corners and used a decorative stitch on the front. I'd found a variegated thread in the pathetic "sewing supplies" section at Wal Mart and had used that to machine quilt the thing. The colors were ghastly in my opinion but that's what was in the bag of donated fabric I worked with. I'd just returned from the Ricky Tims seminar at which I had the first but I hope not last exposure to Libby Lehmann. She touted the poly thread she uses on the bobbin for all purposes and I am now a convert. It has minimal color which was a good thing because I'd overestimated the thickness of the quilt top and the folded edge came over to the top extending beyond the quarter inch edge in the back. Thus the bobbin thread in the decorative stitch reached beyond the bottom stitching. It hardly showed but I wouldn't want that result on a fussier quilt. Some four year old at Head Start will never know the difference and it sure will be sturdy.

Jane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home