WWQP Bulletin Board

Monday, October 29, 2007

Thanks

Thanks for the advice about the binding! I think I will try the stitch it to the back and use a decorative stitch to topstich it on the top. I have quite a few special stitches on my machine that I never use. This will give me a chance to try them on a "low risk" quilt. I would never have the nerve to try all these things for the first time on a quilt I was planning to give as a gift. I try really hard not to be a perfectionist about quilting, because I am sure that is part of the reason I seldom finish things! I also seem to have a short attention span--I just lose interest at the border stage. My MQer said its because then I know how it looks, so it's not as much fun! Does anyone else have that problem? Why do you have those UFO?

Laurel (where the weather was marvelous today!) in Iowa

2 Comments:

  • At October 30, 2007 at 5:19 AM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

    Laurel:
    I made a king size quilt for my bed last Christmas. I had it MQ at a local place, and there was just a scant bit of batting towards the edge. To keep the binding on tight I MQ'd it. There was no way I was going to hand stitch a king size binding. I did what you did, and used my fancy stitching on the top. This is on my bed, is in shades of cranberry red. You really can't see the stitching unless you take it outside or put an Ott light up to it. DH doesn't care, and I like it, so it works for me.
    I have once an awhile done this on a charity quilt, usually on baby quilts that I know will be drag-around things. The fancy stitches look good, IMHO.
    If a quilt is going to get hard use it is a good way to go.
    Sara in Florida

     
  • At October 30, 2007 at 2:06 PM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    Hi, Laura,
    If I lose interest in a Q it is long before the border/binding stage and is due to either a pattern that is tooooo persnickety time-consuming or due to colors that I begin to loath the longer I work with them. LOL. If I complete a Qtop to the binding stage, then I am enthused about finishing it for the Q is always enhanced by the quilting and the binding. It is that final enhancement that I love about a quilt. Like a reward for a job well done. LOL
    JudyPete

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home