WWQP Bulletin Board

Saturday, May 19, 2007

first quilt ever

I had gone to a rummage sale and saw this neat bag of material. Took it home and cut strips from it after seeing a pattern. Made it up and our youngest son asked what I plan to do with it. Since it was close to Christmas, I decided if he was that interested in it, it would be his gift. Then made three others and gave them to the other three kids. It was tied with yarn since that was the way my mother and her mother finished their quilts. Later I learned hand quilting.
I was a clothes sewer before but stopped after the only daughter wore only slacks. Had three boys and didn't master the zipper in boys pants so the Singer machine sat in the closet for years until after the material from the rummage sale.
I also backed the first few quilts with sheets. Couldn't afford the material for the top, batting and the bottom too.
My first material was bought at JoAnn's and bought all the necessary equipment. My first attempt with the rotery cutter was a disaster. It kept curving away from the ruler and had to run to Jo Ann's for more material since the piece that I was cutting was used up real fast in my learning how to cut. :0) Think it was a log cabin quilt that I made that time.
Good question to get us to start blogging. LONNA IN WI

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home