WWQP Bulletin Board

Saturday, May 19, 2007

The Start

In 1962, DH was working for FAA. They sent him to their academy in Oklahoma City and I went along, with our baby. I didn't know anybody there, and hadn't a craft thing to do, so went to the dime store (remember those?) and found an Aunt Martha book with quilt patterns and directions. I picked out a pattern that alternated an 8 pointed star with a block full of half square triangles. I bought white fabric, green fabric, and a green print. DH watched as I made cardboard templates, cut out all the pieces, and then sewed them back together. That first quilt I had hand quilted by a lady back in Michigan when we returned there. DH looked at it and asked, "Wouldn't it have been easier to just sew the big pieces together?" It was at that point that I realized he just didn't get it, LOL. I made a few quilts while the children were growing up, including a twin size for each of them that I hand quilted that used old wool blankets for batting! The stitches weren't tiny, but they were even. The second quilt I made was for my Mom, and was the Star and Crescent pattern. You could tell I had no friends that were quilters--they wouldn't have let me try one with such steep curves in the pattern for a second quilt. I make a lot of charity quilts now. I just sent in 34 blocks to an alum of VA Tech who's making quilts for each of the 32 families that lost loved ones there, and one for the family of the man who committed the crimes--they must be devastated by what their son did. And, I'm expecting a new grandbaby in November, so must make a quilt for him/her, and youngest grandson has requested a quilt that's black with yellow stars.....

Pat in Rockport, TX

4 Comments:

  • At May 19, 2007 at 1:46 PM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    Pat, did your DH work as an ATC?

     
  • At May 19, 2007 at 2:41 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Pat, my dad used to manage S.S. Kresge Co. dimestores but those were all located east of the Mississippi River so I'm guessing you bought your sewing supplies at an F.W. Woolworth Co. store (which were nationwide). Wow, you just stirred up a pot of memories for me ...

    Judy

     
  • At May 19, 2007 at 4:53 PM , Blogger Mary in Oregon said...

    Pat, does your friend need more blocks for the VA Tech families?
    If so, let me know.
    dolphinquilter... at.. hotmail.. dot.. com
    Mary

     
  • At May 20, 2007 at 1:15 AM , Blogger Pat in Rockport, TX said...

    Judypete, he was an electronics technician. He kept the equipment going that helps planes find their way around the sky safely.

    Mary, I'm sure she could use blocks. There are a lot of quilts to be made, 33 in all. She's asking for the centers of the blocks to be made in maroon and orange, VA Tech's colors, with a bit of light fabric, and then a fairly wide border of black print around the outside of the block, for a total of 12 1/2" square. A little bit oversize is better than not quite big enough so that she can trim them all to exact size.

    Pat in Rockport, TX

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home