WWQP Bulletin Board

Friday, April 6, 2007

hand quilting ?

Hi all.............it has been a long week of snow and cold temps here in MN Hope Spring gets here soon ! My question about hand quilting is this..........I have a quilt that I hand quilted several years ago. It is on my husband's bed. When I make up the bed in the morning, I can hear (and see) the threads popping in my hand quilting. I try to be careful and not put a strain on it, but still, my quilting is not holding up. Did I do something wrong, or is that just the way hand quilting is? Makes me sad to see my work disappearing......... any advice will be appreciated !
Marilyn in MN

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At April 6, 2007 at 9:14 AM , Blogger katyquilt said...

    I am not an expert, but do hand quilt and no, the popping threads is not due to the quilt being "hand quilted". I don't know why it is doing that, but I have spent the night under my grandmother's hand quilted quilts, and though they are from the 30's, 40's, they are holding up wonderfully! She even throws them in a regular washer & then dries them in the drier! I wonder if it might be the thread type...

     
  • At April 6, 2007 at 3:50 PM , Blogger Beverley said...

    I am sure this is the thread used and not how you did it.
    Beverley in a warm sunny Britain.

     
  • At April 6, 2007 at 10:02 PM , Blogger Jill from Portland said...

    On the new Ricky & Alex show they were talking about this very thing.
    I think it was a guest,Joe Cunningham that said he does not knot the ends of his thread when beginning to stitch. He leaves a long end so that he can stitch from both sides. I can't remember what he does at the end though, I need to watch the show again. But i do know he doesn't pop a knot thru like most of us do(even Alex).
    The new show seems to have some great quilting tips.

     
  • At April 7, 2007 at 11:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thanks ladies.........I don't think it is the tread because I use the quilting thread on a spool, maybe it is the knot at the end. The tread is not breaking, it is pulling through. Could be I pull it too tight, also. Anyway, thanks for the ideas... Marilyn

     
  • At April 10, 2007 at 1:11 AM , Blogger Laura in IA said...

    I think the guys are a little tough on the quilts. The ones my DS uses have thread breaks and many of these are machine quilted. My machine quilter told me cotton thread was more likely to break than synthetic. I guess that means she uses synthetic.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home