WWQP Bulletin Board

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Seventeen Quilt Magazines and I Didn't Buy One

On my way home from my part-time job this morning I stopped at Kroger's, the local grocery store, for some milk and other items. I checked the magazine racks which happen to offer the largest selection in our small town and I was struck by the large choice of Q magazines for sale today ... some were obviously one-shot special issues. I counted and there were seventeen quilt magazines all beckoning me to buy, buy, buy and I actually picked up two and riffled through the pages but I put them back on the shelf. I left that grocery store with no new quilt magazines.

It would be a horrid time to be a quilt magazine publisher and editor .... all the magazines look alike and I think they must be scrambling for fresh and different articles and advertising dollars. What a cut-throat business magazine publishing must have become. And I wonder how many Q magazines will still be alive two or three years from now?

Perhaps it is because I've been making quilts for almost fifteen years that I have become so bored with the glut of Q magazines. I hope the newer quilters are more enthusiastic about the pretty photos on those pages ...

Judy

2 Comments:

  • At April 4, 2007 at 12:41 PM , Blogger CCB said...

    Quilt magazines are great for beginner quilters, I learned most of my quilting knowledge by reading them. I seldom buy quilt magazines, I do skim through them but if it is mostly artsy I pass. I like Fons and Porter's magazine and it is the only one I subscribe to now. I gave away my collection of years of quilt magazines. I have no idea why I saved so many.

     
  • At April 4, 2007 at 6:58 PM , Blogger Jill from Portland said...

    I have also wondered that maybe I've been quilting too long to see anything new in the magazines.
    Yet, I always see things at quilt shows & shops that I love so I think it must be them :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home