WWQP Bulletin Board

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Quilt Magazines

I too have become disenchanted with quilt magazines. Most are owned and published by the same few companies. Therefore, you see the same quilts in different numerous magazines and books over the course of time, year after year. That's why I quit buying the books too.

In my small town the local Wal-Mart is the only store that carries magazines. Their supplier is for ever changing which ones are in the racks. I know that magazines have to carry advertisements. But, I've noticed that some of the magazines are now around 60% ads. When a magazine is that full of ads, why does the magazine have to cost in upwards to $7.00 or more? I thought the ads were suppose to help defray the consumer's cost and pay for the cost of publishing the magazine.

I've also noticed (don't remember the mag title) that the articles in some were geared towarded a much younger reader. It had several articles that were stories about relationships, etc. that mentioned quilting, but offered no quilting information. These articles also bordered on the suggestive (as in sensual). Come on, do magazines really need to turn to this in order to get buyers? They didn't get my money. If I want entertaining reading I go to the library or book store, but when I buy a quilt magazine, I want it to be about quilting.

Sandra from SC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home