WWQP Bulletin Board

Thursday, April 5, 2007

I need help again, please

What is the name of the product you can put in your washing machine to absorb "loose" color? It use to be a multi use piece of fabric but the last time I bought some it was supposedly a single use. I can't think of the name and need to pass the information on.
I agree with everyone on quilt magazines. I had subscriptions some years ago but cancelled them and now only occassionally I purchased one at the store. If it doesn't have 2 or 3 patterns that blow me away, I put it back on the rack. The prices have become too high and too much advertizing. I'm sure for a new quilter they are as wonderful as I use to think they were, but I've just been around too long! But I still think you can teach an "old dog" new tricks!!
Enjoy life and Happy Easter to everyone, Just me Phyllis in Minnesota

4 Comments:

  • At April 5, 2007 at 3:16 PM , Blogger Mary in KS said...

    They were called Dye Magnets but were bought out by one company and then another. I believe you can still buy the Dye Magnets at JoAnn's but don't hold me to that. The one time use ones are Shout Color Catchers. They do work but if you have a fabric that bleeds a lot, you will need to throw in several, not just one.
    Mary in KS

     
  • At April 5, 2007 at 3:55 PM , Blogger NancyH said...

    I use the Shout Color Catchers also. If you don't get a lot of color absorbed into one, you can use it again. I've tossed very lights and very darks together with one sheet and it's caught all the excess dye with none getting into the light fabric. NancyH

     
  • At April 5, 2007 at 6:51 PM , Blogger Beth in TN said...

    A plain white cotton terry washcloth works exactly the same. Or really any piece of white cotton, but the terry is more absorbent. Buy a pack of cheap terry washcloths like you see at KMart or Walmart bundled in dozens. There used to be a woman who contributed to the board occasionally who explained it once--it has to do with it being all cotton. There is NOTHING magic about the Dye Magnet or any of those products--Dye Magnet was a COTTON WASHCLOTH that had a thing sewn on the edge of it to weight it so it would swish through the wash instead of getting hung up on the drum--that's it--no chemicals, nothing!!!

     
  • At April 5, 2007 at 6:52 PM , Blogger Beth in TN said...

    P.S.--you can also take those same white cotton washcloths and bleach them out and use over and over.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home