WWQP Bulletin Board

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Too good not to post

Judy in Ohio & I have corresponded somewhat infrequently but enjoyably so over the years; she being someone who watches gliders soar past her summer garden & I being one who has watched my husband soar over the fields of Ontario. Thus, when her email came in overnight & with her permission, which given the fact that she is likely still catching her beauty sleep in Ohio, may have slipped past her, I'm still chuckling over her response to my posting below. In part, it is:
"After reading your posting on the BB about your relationship with your sewing machine & how it makes you want to speed I just have to ask if you are allowed to take an auto on the highways and byways of Ontario? :-)I just got the giggles thinking about Sewing Machine Speed Demon Rosey driving along the country lanes in her peaceful part of the province terrorizing the local humans & native wildlife in her auto of choice. Meanwhile, until you correct me, I will have a mental image of you perhaps driving like Mr. Toad of Toad Hall"..& I am here to tell you that I do drive faster than the person who taught me when I was fifteen years old & he still complains that I drive too fast. But he is the one with whom I live now; he is the one whom we have had to call CAA to dig him out of three snowbanks this past month for he drives one speed, not fast, but on the straight & around corners. In the country, the backroads are gravel, thus I have great respect for what this can do to a car & Mrs. Toad retires her speed here on our country roads.

As Judy has pointed out, she like me, has problems with dexterity in her hands & in handling pins, needles thus, without her sewing machine & mine, neither of us would be able to enjoy making quilts as we used to. Judy, however, is greatly skilled with her machine; I still look at it with a love/hate relationship that appears permanent. I am the one who drove a 3 inch screw into my husband's aircraft radio because the handle came off & I knew he would be upset when he came home to find it broken. He was apoplectic when he saw the screw, later telling me it was the most expensive 'screw' he'd had in his life...cost him over $300.00 to repair. First time I'd ever seen him at a loss for words. So, as Judy has pointed out, without my sewing machine in my life, I would not be able to still enjoy making quilts. I'm here to say: you are right, Judy. But I'm dumb as a doornob with machinery & that will never change.

Rosey or Mrs. Toad of Toad Hall

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home