WWQP Bulletin Board

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Faster & Faster

Who was it in Alice in Wonderland? The faster I go...the...now I can't finish it. I've been making quilts since the early 1960's so Jane can spill the beans as to my age now...I'm old enough for people to say: my, I wouldn't have believed it, you look good 'for your age'....but I've been at quiltmaking a long time, long enough to remember the fine quality of 100% cotton instead of this artificial cloth we have now, so filled with chemical resins that one can hardly 'feel' the cloth. But what has dismayed me all the years of teaching quilting, of quilting and speaking to guilds is the race that people are in to make as many quilts as they can before they pop off. Not enough time in the day, is true. But as I do primarily handwork, I have always found it to be a form of meditation for me. When I sew on my sewing machine, eventually it drives me. The faster it goes, the faster I go until I feel like I'm spinning around like a top.

I guess I'm just not machine-oriented...as those on the chat board are aware.

TerTer, retirement, oh my...make sure you have your own space.

Rosey

1 Comments:

  • At January 1, 2010 at 11:07 PM , Anonymous Emily T. said...

    So glad to read another quilter/sewer who does primarily handwork. It IS meditation, isn't it? However with some big projects waiting on me, I'm upgrading to a treadle to get the largest things done before I die. (Ha.) How fast can you sew with a treadle? Hopefully not too fast. There's something to be said for slow.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home