WWQP Bulletin Board

Thursday, March 22, 2007

speed demons

I doubt that I'll ever be a speed demon. In a quilting class I attended as a relatively new quilter, some of the more experienced quilters sewed so fast we called them "quantity queens." One teacher urged us to set our stitch length longer so we could get finished faster. That seemed a bit extreme. She also told us not to pin. ahem. My work looked like a disaster.

That said, last fall I took a MQ class from Sharon Schamber. With all the intricate quilting she does, she'd never get finished if she didn't keep her pedal to the metal. One of the other students commented when she heard Sharon's machine she thought Sharon must be winding a bobbin because the machine was whirring so fast.

I guess the point is that we shouldn't run faster than we can walk. My work is getting faster (at least the piecing is) but I won't sacrifice quality for quantity.

The chat page is having a discussion on sending out quilts to be professionally MQ'ed. If it's larger than a baby quilt, my creaky shoulders beg me to get professional help. 8^)

SeamSTRESS Sally

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home