WWQP Bulletin Board

Monday, March 19, 2007

My eighth and favorite machine

Here's my favorite machine and the one that I hope to never part with. This is a Singer 66 treadle in a parlor cabinet and is almost identical to the one on which I learned to sew. It was gifted to me by my online quilting buddy after she double-dared me to travel 2400 miles to "show up on her doorstep". (BTW, she is very good at double-dares and has gotten me into several of quilting adventures with her DDs.) If I had to give up all my other machines I could happily sew anything I needed to sew on this machine. It has a host of gizmo-like attachments that allow one to make wonderful special stitches. If you've seen the fancy-seamed pin-tucked blouses of the early 1900s you should know that the women of that time were able to sew every stitch on their treadle machines with those attachments. I call this machine "Elizabeth Red-Eye". The red-eye is a name fondly used by collectors to denote the fancy scrollwork. The "Elizabeth" was added by my quilting buddy in memory of a previous-generational family member. It is quite appropriate for that name is also my grandmother's name. One of these days I am going to do some more stitching on this machine, just as soon as I get aroundtuit. I have to add that along with the sewing aspect...I simply love the mechanical workings of vintage machines. They are just tooo coool.
Elizabeth Redeye in cabinetElizabeth Redeye

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At August 10, 2007 at 10:17 AM , Blogger B.lush said...

    I came across a broken old singer that looks just like this on Craigslist for $70. I don't know how to sew but I've fallen in love. I am contemplating purchasing it but am wondering how difficult and costly it is to fix it. Do you have any advice? Please feel free to email me at po.etre@gmail.com.

    Danica
    ps I love your blog!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home