WWQP Bulletin Board

Saturday, March 17, 2007

JUDY PETE & LAVINIA

Wow, I don't know where to start. Following the link on Judy's post leads her web site in which I went through all 47 of her pictures and commentaries. We have, not only a fantastically talented artist in our midst, but a celebrity as well. By the way, how did you get your link onto your post here? Your machine looks just like a featherweight but with a longer arm. What is the clearance from the post to the throat plate?

By the way I saw a red featherweight looking shiny new at the show today. Did they ever come in red or did this guy re paint it? He was asking $750 for it. I have a gear driven featherweight I bought in '59. Actually I don't have it. It migrated to California when DD migrated there with it. It got some rust in the works as I used it so much that I stupidly left it sitting open and ready on the sewing table when we lived on the beach in FL. It's not too bad but it needs a new bobbin case as that's frozen stuck and some attention from a good featherweight mechanic. DD is too busy to sew these days but she's done everything from her clothes to curtains, pillows, futon cover to red cummerbunds and bow ties for the entire Tampa Bay Gay Men's Chorus for their Christmas concert about 17 years ago. They thought she was a genius and happily paid her a handsome fee when she was making a pittance as asst. house manager at the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center.

I digress, I'm having desert in the form of a glass of wine.

Lavinia as well reflects credit onto us. Well, maybe not onto all of us but certainly onto herself. If you see this before you leave for Pigeon Forge tomorrow, LAVINIA, I hope I'm not spoiling the surprise but your beautiful quilt took a third place ribbon in your category. There sure were a lot of admirers around it including my friend from Franklin and yours truly. Kudos to you Lavinia. Take a bow.

Generally I found the quality of quilts there today superior to many in the past. However, this is not a juried show and I was glad to see what had to be some beginners having the guts to enter the show. Ya gotta start some place and this is a great way to learn from the comments of the judge. There was one on which the workmanship was particularly poor but the color sense and design were great. I hope she takes some classes to improve the mechanics because she clearly has a great eye and imagination. Not all of that is teachable but consistent seam allowances and careful applique are.

The weather was breathtakingly beautiful driving across the Smoky Mountain Nat'l park to the show this morning. The temperature dropped a bit more than ten degrees from my area as we approached the high point of US 441. It was about 21F at that point about 6200' elevation. The road was clear and dry with one spot a bit icy for about 20 yards. Fortunately it was obvious as we approached so was easy to deal with. There was a lot of icy lace in the trees and it was just gorgeous. Unfortunately both of us had managed to leave our respective cameras sitting on our respective kitchen counters where each of us had put them the night before so as not to forget them. How could both of us make the same frustrating mistake. All I could think of was what a lovely Christmas card some of the views we saw would make. I said this once before on the Chat page, don't ever leave your camera home and make sure the battery is charged. The quilts too deserved to be preserved. On the other hand, I have hundreds of quilt pictures taken all the way from Road to California to our local show in Franklin and they reside in various boxes around here. When I die my kids will toss them.

Good night all,
Inspired to quilt in NC, Jane

1 Comments:

  • At March 19, 2007 at 4:59 AM , Blogger Lavinia said...

    Thanks, Jane. The machine quilter sent me a congratulations email on Wednesday, I had to call her and see what for. She was so excited! She does lovely work. There were not a lot of people yesterday (Sunday). I didn't get good pictures,even with the flash, the room was just too dark. I loved the beige quilt next to mine (the one with the leaves in the center) thought it better than the 2nd place one in my category, but the same machine quilter quilted it. She's from Knoxville and quilted many of the quilts at the show.
    Stay warm all. Hugs. Lavinia

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home