WWQP Bulletin Board

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Flying Geese size

I was going to title this "does size matter" but was afraid it might attract the dreaded spammers again! I have a question.........I'm getting ready to make a quilt with flying geese - where the block is made up 3 flying geese and you put 4 blocks together (4-patch style) with the 3-geese blocks pointing in different directions, sort of going in a circle. There's a name for this block but it escapes me at the moment. This will be a queen size quilt. I'm debating on whether to make the 3-geese units 6 x 6 (each goose being 2 x 4 and a 2" strip on either side) or 12 x 12 (each good being 4 x 8 with the 2" strip on either side). Is a 4 x 8 goose too big? Is there some kind of "rule of thumb" about how big flying geese should be? You know, like when you make a log cabin the logs shouldn't be too big or it doesn't look right. I made a 2 x 4 sample with the fabric I'm using, then I made a 4 x 8 and it looks way oversized, but I don't know if it's because I'm used to looking at the smaller size. Any guidelines??? Thanks, NancyH

5 Comments:

  • At February 22, 2007 at 6:16 PM , Blogger QM Judy said...

    In general, I find that the smaller the pieces, the more attractive the quilt. And the more "ugly" fabrics you can slip in to make the pretty ones shine. If 2x4 looks too small and 4x8 looks too big, try 3x6.
    Personally, I would go for the 2x4 (finished) goose.
    I remember seeing 2-geese-per-quarter blocks, but never 3gpq. Hm. Sounds interesting. Do you use sashing?

     
  • At February 22, 2007 at 6:16 PM , Blogger QM Judy said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At February 22, 2007 at 7:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Nancy - the pattern name for a block similar to your design is called Dutchman's Puzzle. By similar I mean it has 2 geese going in each quarter block as Judy mentioned. No reason there could not be 3 in each quarter block, but I could not find a name for one in that configuration.
    Pat in Flint

     
  • At February 22, 2007 at 8:12 PM , Blogger NancyH said...

    Thanks, Pat and Judy. I saw the quilt pictured in a Hancock's of Paducah catalog but the pattern was done with paper piecing. I just can't get the hang of that so I graphed it out for regular rotary cutting and piecing. It has 3 geese going in each direction with a narrow strip on each side of each 3-geese unit. There is a narrow border of contrasting color before the last row of blocks. And - in experimenting since I posted I found that the 3x6 (Judy!) actually works the best and is not too big. I'm going to make a 4-block set or two to see how I like it. Thanks again! NancyH

     
  • At February 23, 2007 at 7:51 AM , Blogger tobylehnj said...

    I think the pattern youare talkig about is in Eleanor Burns book, Underground Railroad, and it is just called Flying Geese. but it is very similar to the Flyinh Dutchman

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home