WWQP Bulletin Board

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

NEW ZEALAND & NATURE IN GENERAL

I always knew I wanted to visit New Zealand and now I know why. What a beautiful place. I also think that the person who took that picture has a great aesthetic eye and you need to recruit him to the quilting team. My DB is making noises about it. As in "I think I could get into that." I need to spend more time with him but he's 2/3 of the way across the country and working time and a half taking care of DSIL who is a state of advanced dementia with Alzheimer's.

Recently while walking the brat I came upon a spot on my property at just the right time of day in just the right atmospheric conditions at the right time of year when the far mountains were brightly lit with sunshine in some places and shaded by large clouds in others producing a light brown/ taupe and coffe brown undulating random picture dictated by the lay of the land. The mountains were on the other side of a creek valley several miles from me. Up close were the bare trees which were back lit by the sunlight making the trunks and branches appear silver, not gray, but silver. Even closer the same type trunks appeared their usual browns and grays. Did I have my camera? Of course not! Rats. The lessons taught by this story are 1) get yourself a digital camera if you don't have one and 2) for heaven's sake, take it everywhere with you with the battery charged and the memory adequate for any emergency. I'll probably never have another combination of variables like those I encountered that day. I write about it partly to fix it in my memory.

The picture is wonderful, Marion. I think the photographer loves his subjects.

Jane in NC

4 Comments:

  • At February 21, 2007 at 7:20 PM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

    Jane, if you DO ever get to NZ , please know that you would be very welcome to base yourself with us. We live just half an hour from Christchurch International Airport , it's very easy for us to pick up visitors and give them a few quiet days in the country before they head off on their travels... Think about it !

    Marion.

     
  • At February 21, 2007 at 10:46 PM , Blogger Jane in NC said...

    You may be sorry you said that. I am definitely thinking about it. All I need is money and the endurance to sit on an airplane long enough to make it there. My knees and back lock up just thinking about that flight. It sounds better and better the more I think about it. I'd love to see Thea's mountain too.

    Jane

     
  • At February 21, 2007 at 11:07 PM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

    Yes, the trip is a bit of an endurance test !! We go over to UK every other year, to catch up with DD#1 , four grandchildren and two sisters, so I know all about it !! We are due to go this year but haven't made any bookings yet. Need to wait for some blood test results that DH is due to have in April...

    Thea is in the Nth Island so you would have a base in both Islands ! Doesn't get much easier than that !!

    Marion.

     
  • At February 22, 2007 at 3:08 AM , Blogger Lavinia said...

    I used to read about the great painters and their use of light. Never thought about it till I saw a Leonardo da Vinci at the Natl Museum of Art. Right you are, Jane, we need our cameras at hand.
    NZ - many years ago the place where I worked had a book with pics of NZ - a really beautiful place. Lavinia-TN

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home