WWQP Bulletin Board

Monday, May 6, 2013

Quilt out of neckties?

This is not a new idea, but I opened my big mouth, no have to do what I said.
Last June as I reported, my 66 yr. old brother died.  On closing up the house, my SIL gave me most of his ties, and I said I would make a quilt out of them. 
Well, now she wants it!  I have checked out Pinterest, and have seen "Daddy's Ties".  Anyone out there made one?  How hard is it to work with silk?
Looking for something basic--I'm thinking like a flower with the "petals' being the various neckties.  He had several with musical notes, music theme, as he taught piano.  They are in all different colors.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Sara in Fla. where ther storms have past.

3 Comments:

  • At May 6, 2013 at 2:33 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    I made a "couch quilt" for my father when he retired in 1980. I cut a 6" x 3" rectangle out of many neckties (his plus ties I collected from other men) and made a design that looked like a brick wall. I used black polished cotton as the "mortar" for the brick wall and the running bond design for bricklaying (basic brick wall design). DF was tickled pink because it was not a fussy design. I saved some of the fancy designer labels and sewed those on the plain wool fabrics. I used flannel on the back of teh quilt because the front was so slippery.

    Hope this idea helps.

     
  • At May 6, 2013 at 2:35 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Forgot to mention that opening the neckties and backing the slithery fabrics with fusible interfacing was the most tedious part of the project. I did not launder any of the neckties. I figured that this was going to be a "show quilt", not a useful quilt. :-)

     
  • At May 6, 2013 at 6:17 PM , Blogger NancyH said...

    I made pillow from my father-in-law's ties for each of his daughters. Cut each one open and sewed the long sides together along the crease, trimming off the excess fabric. (Leave the pointy ends loose). Put them together like a Dresden plate with an appliqued (machine) circle to cover the center. I placed the "plate" on a home-dec fabric backing and appliqued the points down. Turned out very nice. And a pillow would be more durable (I think) than a quilt, not to mention less work! NancyHG

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home