WWQP Bulletin Board

Friday, April 26, 2013

Progress on the Y2KQ reproduction.

Difference in value
 Last night I placed the border on the Y2KQ repro.  (Thanks to Anita Grossman Solomon for kindly providing the fabric!!! and to Judy in Ohio who met up with Anita at the Cincinnati quilt show and sent the fabric onward to Iowa!)


If you remember, the repro is done with 1.25 inch squares, using a 1/8 inch seam on my vintage Singer 15-91.  The final quilt will be 40"x60" plus the borer width. This is considerably (I do not exaggerate) smaller than the original which is a huge queen size.


As you can see there is considerable difference in value so I felt the black inner border might blend too well with the new "2000" fabric. 


Border on the repro...will bind in black
Instead I used a rather neutral fabric from my "recycled shirt" stash.  I admit, I put a few shirt squares in the quilt, too, wherever I could fit them in.  I just cannot get away from my shirt addiction. lol


I plan to baste today, hopefully. I had chemo yesterday and still have some extra energy from the steroid they infuse with the chemo.  If so, I will begin handquilting. 


I debated HQ vs MQ (mine or professional) and decided on HQ.  Many days I do not have the gumption to sit at my machine. Secondly, I worried that MQ might not set off the quilt as well as "quiet hand quilting" might do.  Thirdly, on my more tired days I can still sit in the recliner and hand quilt. Fourthly, the original is hand quilted.


The original Y2KQ border
I think a black binding will be the best.


So what have YOU been doing to finish up some UFOs at YOUR house!


(I'm hoping my package has arrived at Jean in Mill Bay's home. Mail to Canada is slow...darn customs!)

5 Comments:

  • At April 26, 2013 at 11:30 AM , Blogger NancyH said...

    Total admiration for your patience in working with those teeny-tiny squares! Beautiful - and what a good way to work through your treatments. The best of luck to you!

     
  • At April 26, 2013 at 7:11 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    I have sent your report on to Anita. You can be sure that she will be very pleased to see that fabric being put to such good use. :-)

     
  • At April 26, 2013 at 11:09 PM , Blogger Jean at Mill Bay said...

    Those many many squares did indeeed arrive! I have been spending my Tuesday morning quilt group sessions sorting all the squares into colour families. (OCD? Moi?) My retreat starts May 2nd and I want to be ready to start sewing the minute I get there! I will post pictures of my progress when I get home.

     
  • At April 27, 2013 at 10:06 PM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    Jean, so glad they didn't get lost in the mail. When I sorted for my queen size I laid squares in cardboard box trays (boxes with sides cut down to an inch). For the repro, I placed squares on sheets of paper, then stacked the papers in folders, and stacked the folders when not working on them. I could lift out pages of one color at a time. I'll email you a photo. Looking forward to seeing your 2013 Y2K quilt!

     
  • At April 29, 2013 at 7:54 AM , Blogger Laura in IA said...

    How exciting to finally reach the quilting process. Good plan for the quilting. I find hand quilting relaxing and hope you do too.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home