WWQP Bulletin Board

Monday, May 6, 2013

Paper-Pieced Quilt Top


The first photo shows you a paper pieced quilt top I started working on in mid-February of this year. This is from a kit I purchased at the SewBatik booth in April, 2011 at the first Spring IQF in Cincinnati and I felt I had to get busy working on it before I attended the 2013 Spring IQF in April of this year.  :-)   The kit is called "Wings of Eagles" and they were still selling it in their booth in 2013. It was supposed to be a twin bed quilt but I fizzled out after making only 35 blocks; it turns out that I am not fated to make umpteen pineapple blocks.  My version will be only a couch quilt.

My DH and I had plans to visit our granddaughters who live almost 500 miles from us and so I took along this paper pieced beauty and pulled a Tom Sawyer on them.  :-)  They are ten years old and I told them that I hoped they would be old enough to help their grandma use bent tweezers to remove paper from the back of her quilt.  Well, the idea of using bent tweezers to remove tiny crumbs of paper was just the trick  We used the empty Coke carton as a wastebasket as we ripped off the large pieces of foundation paper and then the girls (twins) shared the tweezers for the delicate crumb picking.  Is Grandma clever or what?  I had already pulled papers from seven blocks before I left Ohio.  These little Marylanders got papers off of twenty more blocks while they chatted away at my side.  Only eight more blocks to go!

Both of my grandmothers were quilters.  My mother made several quilts. My daughter is a quilter. I think I have created a bit of interest in my son's two girls so that they might grow up someday to seriously consider quilting as a hobby ....  gotta keep that gene pool flourishing.  LOL

4 Comments:

  • At May 6, 2013 at 6:21 PM , Blogger NancyH said...

    What a great togetherness project! The quilt looks great. Hats off to you for the paper piecing - I just can't get the hang of it. My brain apparently just doesn't operate upside down and backwards! NancyH

     
  • At May 7, 2013 at 7:05 AM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    One "trick" to consider when you are thinking about paper piecing ... think of the area you are going to cover as one half of a butterfly. The fabric you will sew over it is the other half of the butterfly, except it is a bit larger because of seam allowances. Butterflies open and close their wings ... you do that with the fabric and the part of the pattern it is supposed to cover.

    Wrap your brain around that idea and see if it will make sense to you. :-)

     
  • At May 7, 2013 at 12:12 PM , Blogger NancyH said...

    Now that makes more sense than anything I've read or been shown. Thanks, Judy....

     
  • At May 13, 2013 at 8:54 PM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    I love the pic of you and the girls!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home