WWQP Bulletin Board

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Fixed my bleeding quilt!

Just want to thank everyone who made suggestions to my post a month or so ago about my quilt that bled red when I washed it in the bathtub. I finally got around to tackling it again and this time I washed it in the machine, warm water with Biz and no detergent, delicate cycle, rinsed twice. Then I washed it again in cold water with my usual Cheer, delicate cycle, rinsed twice. Hung it outside on a line in the sun for about 5 hours. It was almost dry, but not quite, so I put it in the dryer for about 40 minutes with 2 tennis balls to keep it moving. Lo and behold, the dye came out of the cream colored background in the stars - they are no longer pink! The only change that all that washing did is that one of the reds that I used faded just a bit but it was a tad lighter by design than the other red anyway - and that particular fabric was not "quilt-shop quality", which was kind of an eye-opener. THANK YOU!!! to Sue in Germany, Judy in Ar, Judy in Ohio, Laura in IA, Linda the Serial Quilter, Jill from Portland, and Jane in NC! You are all special in my book! NancyH

4 Comments:

  • At January 4, 2010 at 4:29 PM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    Congrats! I would say you have accomplished the near-impossible!

     
  • At January 4, 2010 at 6:31 PM , Blogger Jill from Portland said...

    Nancy, that is so great!
    about a month after that happened to you I accidentally washed a load of my DH's poly workshirts with a piece of red wool that I was felting (left one piece in the bottom of the washer (: ) They went all the way through the dryer before I saw what had happened! I washed them in warm water with a couple cups of Oxyclean
    & the dye magnet & surprisingly all the red stains were gone.
    I had declared myself The Laundry Queen, but I will share the honor with you! Jill

     
  • At January 5, 2010 at 12:35 AM , Blogger NancyH said...

    Jill - Oxyclean would have been my next move. It's really worked on some tough spots for me before. Glad it worked for you - I'm sure your hubby wasn't thrilled about pink workshirts! Nancy

     
  • At January 5, 2010 at 9:43 PM , Blogger Jill from Portland said...

    It was terrible, looked like there had been a massacre in my dryer!
    I'll never know how I missed it when I put them in the dryer!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home