WWQP Bulletin Board

Friday, December 11, 2009

Wool...and a question

A couple of my quilting buddies and I went to Des Moines to the AQS a month or so ago. We noticed lots of wool and embroidery. I picked up a wool bag kit that has a crazy quilt piece at the top and ordered a kit for a wall hanging/picture. The bag is done and I love it - haven't worked with wool before so it was really fun. The kit came last week and I got started on it this morning. It is based on Ecclesiastes 3 (To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven). The base is a hand dyed piece that goes from white (for the snow) thru greens and into golds for spring, summer, fall. Then trees, a house, etc., are added on top of that. The verse "To every thing..." is embroidered around the border. The sample I saw was gorgeous so, hopefully, mine will turn out. I got the pieces fused this morning and plan to take it with me when we go to Hawaii over Christmas. Which leads to my question. I know you can't take pointed scissors on a plane, but how about needles, etc. I can't find anything prohibiting needles but thought I would ask you guys. And want to add Best Wishes to all of you during this holiday season. Joleen in MN

6 Comments:

  • At December 11, 2009 at 2:35 PM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    If you check your baggage you can take any kind of sewing item. If you plan to do needlework enroute, some people take along a box of dental floss...use the cutter to cut your thread. Or I've even used fingernail clippers to clip thread. I think you could get by with a needle or two if include with your sewing item.

     
  • At December 11, 2009 at 5:08 PM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

    YOu might check with the NTSB, or the airline (on line) There should be an updated list of what you can and cannot take.
    I can't imagine needles being on the don't take list.
    Enjoy the trip to Hawaii-wish I was going too.
    Sara in Fla.

     
  • At December 11, 2009 at 8:54 PM , Blogger heather said...

    Joleene, would u be able to email me where you ordered the wallhanging kit from ? it sounds perfect for an upcoming wedding anniversary next year and I wouldn't mind ordering one if they are still available....thanks..

    heatherATschoolerDOTca

     
  • At December 13, 2009 at 6:31 PM , Blogger Phyllis in Minnesota said...

    Joleen - I have to ditto Heather's request. I'd love to have the pattern. Thanks, Phyllis

    ggmpm2000 at aol dot com

     
  • At December 13, 2009 at 11:19 PM , Blogger NancyH said...

    You can call the airline direct and ask them if they allow sewing things. Most airlines' websites have a link that lists everything allowed/not allowed. The last I heard, needles were okay. NancyH

     
  • At December 14, 2009 at 2:30 AM , Blogger Laura in IA said...

    A few years ago I accidentally forgot about leaving my sewing kit in my carry on. They had to look closely at my blunt nosed children's scissors but showed no concern over the needles.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home