WWQP Bulletin Board

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Alive and Kicking in Iowa

I won't beat any quilting records here in reporting my 2009 sewing projects.

My lone project for 2009 was to finish up a scrap quilt from shirt fabrics. I had basted it and had begun hand quilting it in 2008. Then in January 2009 I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Only 20,000 ladies in the United States get nominated for this "honor" each year and I'm one of them. Whoopie!

Surgery in January. Again in February. Last chemo session was in July. Now finishing with a clinical trial drug every three weeks and feeling well, although some blood tests are a bit iffy.

Early on I tried working on this quilt but neuropathy or numbness in my hands from the chemo made it an unhappy task. After I finished chemo, the numbness gradually went away and I picked up my thimble and needle and thread and finished the quilt. I posted about it in November. You can read about my sole 2009 quilt (with pics) by clicking here.

I've been blogging pretty heavy this year so you can read about what's been happening in my life by clicking here.

In regards to other sewing areas I did some knitting and made myself several knit caps (I needed them to cover my bare head when that dastardly chemo took my hair!) and also some fingerless gloves which I love very much.

All in all, 2009 was not exactly a productive year for me in terms of sewing. I follow blogs by various quilters and enjoy seeing what they are creating, so I hope some of the old BBers (old in terms of long-time members...not holding anyone's age against them...heh-heh) will post their 2009 projects and let us see what they've been doing in the sewing world.

Best to all of you this New Year 2010. May we all enjoy peace, good health, love and family.

JudyPete
aka WhiteStone

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At January 3, 2010 at 8:00 PM , Blogger Mary in Oregon said...

    Thank you for sharing. Cancer is just bad stuff. :-( SOOOO glad to hear the treatments worked for you!
    Sending hugz,
    Mary in Oregon

     
  • At January 3, 2010 at 9:29 PM , Blogger Phyllis in Minnesota said...

    I think you had a very productive year because you are here to welcome 2010 in spite of that ugly thing called cancer. When you're back on top again, I know you will be checking all those men for good looking shirts again!! Take care of yourself, Phyllis in Minnesota

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home