WWQP Bulletin Board

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Breaking thread

Heather, I tried to do a comment to your post, but it went out into the ethernet somewhere, so I'll post one of my own.

I had a lot of trouble when quilting with poly thread (I use a Brother PQ1500, which is a high speed machine). Turns out that when the tension plates get hot from the thread moving through at a high rate of speed, the poly thread starts to melt and weakens to the point where it breaks when going through the needle. I usually use 100% cotton now unless there is a specific thread that I need to use for an effect.

When I took a MQ class from Harriet Hargrave a few years ago, she recommended a Schmetz 75/11 Stretch needle for those threads. Not sure why, but that needle really does seem to work.

Kathi

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home