WWQP Bulletin Board

Saturday, July 18, 2009

New Toy For Me!



OH BOO HOO!!!! On the way here to post I dropped my tea and in doing so drenched the memory stick that had pictures on it. I wanted to share pictures of my new toy. Now the stick will not work. I hope it will after it dries out. I have a lot of stuff saved on it.

Anyway! Last Tuesday morning as I was approaching a neighbors drive, while out walking, he was fixing to drive out. He and his wife moved about a year ago to another state and he was here getting the house ready for sale. He knows that I quilt and he stopped me and ask, "You quilt don't you? Would you like to have a quilting frame?" Well, yes I would indeed.

He himself made it from bamboo after ones he studied in his wifes magazines. They have no space for it in their new house. It has the three rolls too!

By Wednesday night I had it loaded and I'm now quilting a top that has been waiting for atleast 5-8 years.

I'll post pictures later if I'm able too. I knew you all would understand my good fortune. YEAH!!


OK! Here I go. Hubby got it to work.
Sandra from SC

7 Comments:

  • At July 19, 2009 at 7:53 PM , Blogger NancyH said...

    That's a nice frame, Sandra! My hubby made one for me several years ago also. I have questions...did you use safety pins to attach to the fabric strips on the frame? And what did you use for clamps on the sides? I tried using big rubberbands attached to binder clips, but the binder clips just wouldn't grip the quilt very well. And, by the way, I like the quilt you put on the frame too! NancyH

     
  • At July 20, 2009 at 12:53 AM , Blogger Lightning57~ Sandra from SC said...

    I have the top attached with the curved safety pins. The sides are gripped with small binder clips that are held with small elastic chords. They could be replaced with something better, but thses are what were with the frame.

    Thanks Nancy.
    Sandra from SC

     
  • At July 20, 2009 at 9:10 AM , Blogger Mary in Oregon said...

    Congrats on the frame, Sandra. I LOVE the quilt! What a great 'first job' for the frame. :-)
    Mary in Oregon

     
  • At July 20, 2009 at 10:43 AM , Blogger Lightning57~ Sandra from SC said...

    Nancy, I have the batt and backing together on the middle roll and the top is attached to the back roll with the three all together on the first roll. Have I loaded it correctly, or should the batting be with the top? I have no instructions on how to load it and I haven't been able to come up instructions from the internet.

    So far it works well this way, but then I haven't advanced it yet.

    Thanks Mary. I love scrap quilts and this top was made from thousands of small and short pieces. I wish the picture quality and colors came out better. The top is much brighter than it appears in the picture.

     
  • At July 20, 2009 at 3:37 PM , Blogger NancyH said...

    Sandra - my frame only has 2 rollers, but I was able to find the following info on a google search ("how to load quilt on a 3-rail frame"):

    http://www.ehow.com/how_5147499_put-quilt-quilting-frame.html

    The following was copied from another site:

    Another easy-to-use and comfortable feature for your back is our three-rail system which eliminates basting. The quilt top and batting are attached and rolled onto an outer rail and the backing (lining) fabric to the inner rail, each on the same side of the frame. All three layers are joined on the opposite outer rail. Just roll off of two rails and onto one as you quilt in between. The fabrics do not come off wrinkled or go askew resulting in better and smoother tension control.

    NancyH

     
  • At July 23, 2009 at 12:20 PM , Blogger Jill from Portland said...

    beautiful quilt Sandra!
    Your lucky day!

     
  • At August 7, 2009 at 8:52 AM , Blogger tobylehnj said...

    I have a three rail system. I have the backing on one and the top on the other then both with batting in between. The batting does not go on a rail, it just floats. I have also done quilts using two rails and I only pin the backing on two rails with batting hanging and the top hanging. This is floating the top, usually when it is a small quilt. Donna, LEH, NJ

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home