WWQP Bulletin Board

Friday, June 19, 2009

A Wordy Report From a National Quilt Show ... the 2009 National Quilt Association Show in Columbus, Ohio

Spent a few hours at the 40th National Quilting Association Show in Columbus, Ohio this afternoon and did my bit to stimulate the economy. Came home with one kit from Sewbatik's booth (that guy's stuff is absolutely irresistible in person), some threads from Superior Threads booth and some foundation piecing papers for tiny Christmas tree ornaments in classic quilt block patterns. (There was a brief power outage for a few minutes while I was in the Sewbatik booth so that's why I had plenty of time to browse among his kits.)

The quilt show featured rows of red and white quilts that were yummy to look at. They used the idea that the 40th show was the "ruby anniversary" and invited people to send in their red and white quilts so the range from traditional to contemporary was quite exciting to see ... everything from classic embroidered redwork to glitter and glitz on small wallhangings.

After looking at the Best of Show quilts I looked around for the new Master Quilter display. I asked a white glove lady to point me to the Master Quilter exhibit and she told me that they don't always have a new Master Quilter each year .... that some years there is no one who has earned the designation. I had previously seen Ted Storm's exhibit and last year it was Sharon Schamber's but there was no new Master Quilter for 2009.

The number of dealers trying to sell longarm or mid-arm quilting machines was rather amazing .... everyone from the "biggies" (Gammill, APQS, etc.) to machines that looked like they were built in someone's garage. Therefore price ranges must be all over the place too.

The Gammill guy had a cool set up .... black fabric on one longarm machine with gold metallic thread and a computerized system stitching a very elegant feather pattern. Oh, my goodness! I teased him and said "Now that's a real killer of a set-up you have there, you have the George Clooney sex appeal factor working for you." and he just grinned at me. "Does it make your heart go pitty-pat?" he said. I said, "Not today." and walked on. LOL

Judy in Ohio

4 Comments:

  • At June 19, 2009 at 11:40 AM , Blogger judy in ar said...

    I so LOVE batiks, had to check out sewbatiks. Yum. But I can see what you mean about stimulating the economy. Whoa. A little steep for my budget. But I am sorely tempted. . . . .
    Thanks for posting about the show.
    judy in ar

     
  • At June 19, 2009 at 1:58 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Judy, the quality of the fabric at the Sewbatiks site is superb ... you cannot go wrong buying from this guy. I've been a satisfied customer for years, especially with his 108" wide quilt backings. Yummy, yummy stuff but I agree it is not exactly a bargain.

    Judy

     
  • At June 19, 2009 at 2:21 PM , Blogger Linda, the Serial Quilter from Oxford, Ohio said...

    Sorry I missed seeing you, Judy. I was there, but left by about 1PM Thursday. I had been helping out during judging and was extremely tired and ready to go home.

     
  • At June 21, 2009 at 7:11 AM , Blogger Jane in NC said...

    Try batiksetc.com for an incredible collection. There is always something on sale. The usual price, not sale items, is just under $10 and a bit less on some fabric. She also carries the 108" backing stuff. I think she carries just about any brand out there. There is always a special on Wednesdays and various holidays.

    No affiliation or financial involvement; just a very satisfied customer and student whenever Carol Britt, the owner, comes down this way.

    Jane in NC, where the thunder is booming and Shadow is under the desk shivering in fear until the Benadryl I gave her kicks in.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home