WWQP Bulletin Board

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Feedback

First of all, THANK-YOU to everyone who gave me a suggestion to try....and yes Judy Iam always curious too as to what worked for someone........I just wish I could remember the solutions when I need them !!

My thread is a polyester (Guterman) 100 % I wasn't clear when I mentioned the 100 % good quality cotton.....I meant the material ! I changed the needle again to the suggested embroidery size, that helped a bit.....I didn't have any sewer's aid so will have to wait to try that, I reread the manual for the Sapphire 830 and rethreaded both machine and rewound the bobbin and tried to keep the machine speed at a moderate level but still ended up with problems......I am suspecting my thread might be older than I thought, because even on the old reliable Kenmore that always free motioned without any glitches I had a couple of thread breaks, but not as many as the Sapphire......so this weekend I am going to try the quilt shop just across the MN border to see if they might have Sewer's Aid but am going to do a bit of further research to make sure my machine won't be "scarred for life" if I use it.....my DH suggested maybe spraying the thread spool with WD-40 after hearing a few loud adjectives emitting from the sewing room !
Even he knew that wasn't an option but do give points for trying to solve the issue......after all he was the one who figured out how to thread the serger when I had given up !!

I have a quilting buddy who is very familar with the husqvarna machines and she is lined up to help figure out if it is the operator not the machine who is at fault.

Once again thanks for the insights......this board has been quiet of late......what is everyone up to.....we are finally feeling like we might be having some summer weather after weeks of cooler than norm temps and too too much rain.......I am trying to gear up my sewing to think forward to Christmas gifts, but not much motivation when it's nice outside !!

6 Comments:

  • At August 13, 2009 at 2:34 PM , Blogger judy in ar said...

    The sewers' aid won't hurt your machine. It has a tiny nozzle like fray check. You just put one bead line down the length of the spool and it lubricates the thread. It works wonders when using metallic thread!! A little goes a long way.

    Where are you located that a quilt shop is right across the MN border? My mom lives on the IA/MN border & I thought I'd hit most of those shops!!
    judy in ar

     
  • At August 13, 2009 at 5:51 PM , Blogger heather said...

    Judy, we are about 1/2 hour from the ON/MN boder in Thunder Bay. At Grand Marais MN (only another o/2 from the border)there is a great little quilt shop and another two at least before Duluth MN. By land we are only 165 miles from
    Duluth. Also some good knit shops. If you ever get the urge to venture this way let me know !

     
  • At August 13, 2009 at 6:16 PM , Blogger judy in ar said...

    You're at the other end of the state!! My DH goes fishing in the boundary waters out of Ely every year, but I seldom venture that far north. LOL I have heard good things about a shop in or near Duluth.

     
  • At August 13, 2009 at 7:39 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    So you are using a thread that comes on a crossdwound spool. Do you have it on a horizontal spindle and properly secured? Guterman threads sometimes are not happy on vertical spindles.

     
  • At August 13, 2009 at 8:22 PM , Blogger heather said...

    It did work somewhat better horizontally but I suspect it might be a bad combination of operator malfunction, older thread , so I will start a practice quilt and exsperiment with fresher eyes and hopefully sewer's aid.

    And for anyone who loves travel and beautiful scenery....come check out all or some of the Lake Superior Circle Route and remember your passport, both sides of the border require that ID even for travel by car!

     
  • At August 14, 2009 at 4:14 PM , Blogger Shelli Fiorenza said...

    Hi! I use an old #1+ by Husquvarna and I have never had a problem with any Gutermann thread, but heres my tricks: when using poly thread, I use a size 14 embroidery needle or depending on thread weight, I might use a 14 denim needle (30 weight and up). Also, I know its probably an old wives tale, but my Great Grandma always told me to put thread in a baggie and throw it in the freezer for 30 minutes or longer. She said it seems to put moisture back in the older thread, but I think the time delay lets you un-kink your frustrations and start again more relaxed so you sew more smoothly. Have fun!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home