WWQP Bulletin Board

Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Oddest Photo Ever Posted on The WWQP Blog



Well, now, here is a museum piece for you, an old Girl Scout badge sash from the late 1950s which I dug out from my box of high school memorabilia not too long ago. I had enjoyed viewing an online tour of Libby Lehman's studio in her home in Texas and along one wall in her studio design room she has an array of all of her many ribbons she has won over the years. At the beginning of her display of ribbons (1st place, Best of Show, etc.) is her Girl Scout badge sash. When I saw Libby's sash on display I thought to myself "Well, if Libby Lehman can display her badge sash in her sewing room, I can display mine, too!" And so I got mine out.

As I was tidying up my sewing room this afternoon I got to thinking about badge requirements of long ago and wondered if they were still as strict. (I doubt it.) I also began wondering what it would take to earn a Quilting badge .... a grown-up Quilting badge, not a kid's badge earned in a year.

Aren't I mean to think of such a thing? But wouldn't it be interesting to have some national or international standard (kind of like a driver's license) that would say "Now you are a Quilter".

Or have I been inhaling too much lint today? LOL

7 Comments:

  • At September 14, 2008 at 10:46 PM , Blogger Margaret from Long Island, NY said...

    Judy, it is so odd that you posted that picture at this time. A woman in my quilting group just brought in a paper pieced scene of two tents and a campfire set on a rolling hillside. She made it with a wide border around for a friend to sew all her son's Boy Scout merit badges as a gift for his 40th birthday!!! The friend can't wait to see her son's reaction when he receives it.

    Margaret from Long Island, NY

     
  • At September 15, 2008 at 7:33 AM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    I have a third place ribbon from a Hoffman Challenge but at this point in my life that old Girl Scout sash makes me smile more than the quilting prize ....

    If any BBer has an old badge sash, I recommend getting it out and hanging it in public view in her sewing space. It's quite a conversation piece if nothing else. :-)

     
  • At September 15, 2008 at 12:33 PM , Blogger Beth in TN said...

    Judy, the National Quilting Association has a program to become a Master Quilter that is the closest thing to earning a "merit badge in quilting" that I've seen. Judging from the short list of those who have achieved this status, it must have some pretty stringent requirements!

     
  • At September 15, 2008 at 2:10 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    No, Beth, I don't mean I want a badge indicating I am a "Master" quilter! Heaven forbid!!!! Aaaackkkk!! That would mean you would have to squirm under the microscopes of the Quilt Police. (Gives me the shivers!)

    No, I was merely thinking of a simple proficiency thing ... as I wrote earlier, like a driver's license or maybe like a Red Cross swimming certificate.


    Judy

     
  • At September 15, 2008 at 6:51 PM , Blogger Jill from Portland said...

    Being a 4-H'er I remember being jealous of the GS badges & their "fancy" uniforms! We had little patches that our Moms sewed onto our blouses, but my Mom (a leader) made our blouses out of a little green & white pin stripe to make it look more uniformish.
    My sister still sends me 4-H little momentos that she finds at garage sales. The last one was a 4-H guide to canning!! Jill

     
  • At September 17, 2008 at 8:11 AM , Blogger Beth in TN said...

    Judy, I agree, no quilt police had better patrol MY sewing room either :)) Precision isn't in my vocabulary.

     
  • At September 17, 2008 at 6:50 PM , Blogger QM Judy said...

    Judy - thanks for the smile.
    Wonder where my sash is? Bet it's in the guest room closet. I still have my handbook from 1955 on my bookshelf.
    QMJudy

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home