WWQP Bulletin Board

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Machine applique

I have taught machine applique for years. I use a universal 80/12 needle if using cotton or cotton/poly thread, a 80/12 embroidery needle if using either rayon or invisible thread and a 90/14 metallic needle for metallic threads. I find I have much less thread breakage using this "recipe" with fusible web and so I follow this routine even if I use the washout fabric glue sticks to "piece" my appliques.

I would write more, but I was klutzy and fell down the stairs last night. Thank goodness the stairs were carpeted or I would have more damage than a few bumps and bruises!

Shelli

2 Comments:

  • At September 11, 2008 at 1:12 PM , Blogger dutchrose said...

    thanx so much for not only your post, but for doing it under less than favorable conditions ;)

    i sent all of the info to my friend, but she had not waited for help and went on her merry way. she is a new quilter and eager, but so eager that she is making profuse mistakes. her machine tension was just awful and all of her white bobbin threads pulled to the top. so much so that (against the black!) it looked like she had done white buttonhole stitch.

    so i went thru some of the very basics with her but she is content to just leave it the way it is... sigh ... but hopefully has learned something for the future.

    dutchrose ---{-@

     
  • At September 16, 2008 at 7:58 PM , Blogger katyquilt said...

    HA! That's were you use your archival black pigma pen! Just dab it on the white thread & presto! Black Thread! :-)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home