WWQP Bulletin Board

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Dye Run

I, too, wash everything; if for no reason other than to shrink it. One is bound to have to wash the final product eventually and then not only do colors run but fabrics shrink at differing rates. I use the color catcher sheets. I learned at a Ricky Tims lecture than Synthropol, used by hand dyers as a color fixant, should be used when laundering new fabric. It is unfailingly effective. Purchase it at a quilt shop. Use only about a quarter tsp. per load.

Jane in cloudy NC

1 Comments:

  • At May 31, 2008 at 10:20 AM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Jane, in our old home here in my county I had well water then I moved to a new home with city water. I found wide differences in my laundry results. I doubt if a quarter teaspoon of anything would have affected the outcomes in my loads of laundry. Well water had no chlorine in it but lots of softener added plus potassium something to combat the natural sulfur; city water had something added to battle iron plus whatever was needed to fight bacteria to make it "healthy" by government standards. Our black slacks and knit tops suddenly became charcoal grey. I was ready to move back to our old home in the township with well water!

    Judy

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home