WWQP Bulletin Board

Friday, May 30, 2008

Laundry

My friend called and asked me if most quilters wash their fabric before they use it. I usually do. Not always, but have had some run. She has a piece of teal batik and has washed it a total of 4 time and the last time with vinegar. It is still bleeding. She replaced it with another color to finish the backing on her quilt and called the quilt shop where she purchased it. The clerk told her that they could not take any fabric back that had been washed and that quilters do not wash. I found that a funny statement as I am sure that some of you out there wash......... Anyway, I said I would write you and see what the general opinion was. Thanks, Marcik

3 Comments:

  • At May 31, 2008 at 12:25 AM , Blogger judy in ar said...

    I, for one, wash EVERY piece of fabric that comes into my house before it goes to the sewing room. I don't want shrinking/bleeding problems later and I'm not a big fan of the wrinkly "old" quilt look. If I buy fabrics on line that the seller says are prewashed, I wash them anyway, my way.

    It's also one reason I don't get all my quilts made. I'm a huge fabriholic and it takes me about 4 hours to wash & iron a load of fabric. Wanting to start a quilt usually motivates me to start washing.

    Thank you for starting this thread. I check here every day just like the old BB and I hate that so few post regularly. I was going to post this comment just to see if some people would start writing again.

     
  • At May 31, 2008 at 9:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I have problems with allergies also and each new piece of fabric that comes in the house is washed first. This includes clothing. It gets washed before I wear it. My sister thinks I am nuts, but she is not 'blessed' with these infernal allergies.
    Pat in Flint

     
  • At May 31, 2008 at 10:42 AM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    Yep. I wash all my fabric as soon as I'm home from the Q shop. And a piece that bleeds after four washes? I probably won't use it...at least not in a quilt. Make place mats instead.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home