WWQP Bulletin Board

Thursday, January 3, 2008

The first Yo-Yo project I ever saw....

Margaret, the first yo-yo project that I remember seeing was in the late 1950s. Yo-yos were strung on strong string to form the body, legs, arms of a doll. The head was made from a pre-formed plastic clown or doll face that you could buy at the dime store. Little round bells were used at the ends of the arms and legs to hold that last yo-yo in place. They were cute as can be. I was in my early teens and made one myself. It wasn't until later, in the 1980s, that I saw the yo-yos used as bedspreads or toppers.
JudyPete

4 Comments:

  • At January 3, 2008 at 10:24 PM , Blogger Laurel in Iowa said...

    JudyPete,

    I remember those dolls, too, but never made one. I think my aunt, who hand quilted all the quilts in the family, made them. It wasn't just an Iowa thing was it?
    Laurel in Iowa

     
  • At January 4, 2008 at 12:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    JudyP - I too remember those. Either a neighbor or one of my mom's friend made them. They were so adorable. Thanks for the memory!
    Debby in Oregon

     
  • At January 4, 2008 at 1:35 AM , Blogger Margaret from Long Island, NY said...

    Now that you mention it, my DSIL's mother made the yo-yo clowns for my first two children in 1964. They were strung on shoelaces and had triangular stuffed heads ending in hats. I'm a keeper of all things handmade and wonder what ever happened to them.
    Margaret from Long Island, NY

     
  • At January 11, 2008 at 1:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I had one of those dolls in the 60's, and I was terrified of it. Those long dangling arms and legs--yikes! But the other day I saw one in an upscale baby catalogue, and it was adorable. The difference was that the fabrics were all pastels, and the arms and legs were short and cute.

    But you're right - what goes around, comes around.

    BlueThimble in Massachusetts

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home