WWQP Bulletin Board

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Not a Work of Art, But a Good Joke ... "Retired Ties"



When my father retired after 45 years of working for the S.S. Kresge Co. (which evolved into K-mart) he swore he would never wear another necktie. He started out as a "stock boy" and, yes, in those days he had to wear a neck tie for that lowly job. When he retired as an associate buyer my mother gave me all of his neckties and I began collecting more, from my DH, from friends and from garage sales and after a while I had enough to create his "couch quilt" which I called "Retired Ties". He swore he would never wear another necktie but with a flannel back on the reverse of this quilt I made it as cuddly as I could for napping purposes. And then my parents packed up and moved from Michigan to Florida where old folks never take naps! :-)

Judy

8 Comments:

  • At December 30, 2007 at 8:00 PM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    Judy, I'll bet there will be a few copies of this quilt made within the next year. I knew you had a photo somewhere! LOL. If nobody else takes the ties, send 'em to me. I have a rubbermaid box in the basement and can add these to the stash...maybe it will be impetus to create!
    JudyPete

     
  • At December 30, 2007 at 8:23 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At December 30, 2007 at 9:37 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    JudyPete has decided that she needs to buy these neckties from my DH's closet .... therefore they are spoken for and no longer for sale. With all the shirting quilts she has made it is about time she makes a necktie quilt. And then on to a woolen suit quilt .....

    Judy

     
  • At December 30, 2007 at 10:02 PM , Blogger Bunny in IL said...

    Judy, Great quilt! What did you use for sashing? Bunny

     
  • At December 31, 2007 at 12:02 AM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    Nix on the woolen suit quilt idea. I tried that one time - cut into a couple woolen suit jackets. You wouldn't believe the amount of fuzzy linty residue produced by cutting into that fabric. I scrapped the idea. Pun intended.
    JudyPete

     
  • At December 31, 2007 at 8:31 AM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Bunny, that is black cotton sateen as the "mortar" in the brick wall or sashing. I wanted something shiny looking and that was the best thing I could find.

    Judy

     
  • At December 31, 2007 at 12:34 PM , Blogger Bunny in IL said...

    I knew that the sashing appeared to be all one fabric and figured you didn't have enough tie to go around for all of that. Good choice; "ties" it all together. Bunny

     
  • At December 31, 2007 at 9:15 PM , Blogger Linda in AZ said...

    Judy, thanks a bunch for the picture. That was a great idea. Love it!

    I think I know what I am doing with Dad's ties now. That is right after I finish hand quilting my Disappearing 9 Patch queen size quilt. It is 65% quilted. I watch a lot of Suns games and quilt so it should be finished soon.

    I was thinking about doing an applique next but you sparked my interest in getting at the necktie quilt.

    Happy New Year to all. Wishing you health and quilting happiness in 2008.

    Linda in sunny AZ

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home