WWQP Bulletin Board

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Hello ladies from the Mt! A bit head in the clouds today, but the sun is trying to get through after weeks of rain. We are so looking forward to summer!

Long time no post or read for me.
As those who know DH lost his leg in an accident last November, it has been a hard road here. Busy with the demands of the farm stock work falling mainly on my hands as well as my job and the family. Well, it has not been a smooth road for any of us.

So to briefly update, DH has had several more operations to improve the scarring and remove a neoroma- a cluster of nerves at the stump end. However with all that he is still not able to wear a prothesisic leg and so he is still on crutches and therefore less able to do things. That plunged him into depression which he has rallyed from.

Unfortunately he has gone through a denial stage of his loss, and is not adapting his lifestyle at all to accomodate his injury, attempting to do things regardless. Combined with his medications and their affects, at times his judgement shows some major flaws or merely absence of consideration for all factors involved leading to some really poor decisions which causes more stress for al;l involved!

Then about a week ago, when he was out on the 4 wheeler farm bike with DD2 (now 3yrs old) he decided to come back from checking the bulls up the steep slippery track to the house instead of via the road. It was raining, had been raining nonstop for a week, and the track is difficult at the best of time when wet. Then the bike cut out -which it had never done before- and he had to roll it back into the bank and got off- first the 3 yr old, then himself on his crutches- and the bike flipped and rolled towards him. He pushed DD2 across the track but the bike clipped him on both legs as it rolled. He has a nasty bruise on his stump now, and he thinks he has chipped the fibia bone below his good knee but won't go to the Dr.....

As for me, well, I found myself falling asleep in the car coming home from nightshift, and on the wrong side of the road. I reduced my hours for 5 weeks, and am now back doing my 4 days a week.
DH asked me to consider moving to the Prision for a Corrections Officier job, and I have done the Psychology tests and had the interview. However I find their shift roster too inflexible and will say no, and wait to see if a nursing position comes up. It is only 20mins down the road, instead of 1 hr travelling time, but that is not benefitted by the inflexible rosters.

DD1 has left home and is boarding in town. She finally had enough of the strain from the protesters issue, and trauma with DH and internal dynamics. So now DH is not speaking to her. Despite getting counselling for all involved, DH is saying he is being blamed for everything- hes not but he is a big part of the problem!
DD1 is doing really well at school and has top grades,: she is boarding with the District Nurse and they get on really well.

DD1 had an accident at netball and injured her foot and was also on crutches for several weeks, including her school ball! She sewed her own ball gown- a halter top in silver spangled purple, and decorated the crutches in the same fabric! I am very proud of her, she is a capable, intelligent and emotionally mature young lady.

As for me, I too would like to up and leave home at times! If it wasn't for DD2 I might, and I have not ruled it out yet. DH is refusing to consider giving up the farm, and is expecting everyone else to make concessions around him; including me to give up my job that I enjoy and like, because of the travelling stress, so that I can be here to help with the farm. Remember we only lease this farm, not own it.

We have had so many problems here this year-the leaking roof has been a serious issue with a huge leak in the lounge and DD1s bedroom. ( which I have now commadeered as an office and quilting room!)
Anyway, you don't need to know- suffice to say this has been a very trying year!

Good news though!!!!!!- I have almost finished DSDs scrappy heart quilt- it it away being machine quilted so just the binding to put on and it is done (about a year late!)
I have been making myself get in and do some quilting- as I was getting depressed over the family dynamics and dramas etc. I am currently machine peicing a tablecloth for my table, with some bright applique.

Next project is for my mum, who at 82 has not been well, and having chest pains but not showing heart enzymes for a heart attack, so may be digestion related, and my step father who has had more small strokes. I am doing a hand applique wall hanging/ medillion quilt centre block I designed for my mum, in yellow tulips, which is very cheering.

Well, stock to check this am (we are grazing 90 bulls) and the cows are calving- the family pets have safely calved this year, which is a relief-, must go, God Bless to you all and happy stitching.

9 Comments:

  • At August 23, 2007 at 7:09 PM , Blogger lonna in wi said...

    My goodness, what a situation you are in with caring for your family, working a job and keeping the farm going. The falling asleep part really made me concerned about your safety. You need to take care of yourself, the stress and lack of sleep can take a lot out of a person but you might know that already being a nurse. Do take care of yourself. LONNA in Wi

     
  • At August 24, 2007 at 2:02 PM , Blogger Marge said...

    Hi Tenneh, I have followed your messages for quite some time. You certainly have had more than your share. Please take care of yourself, and I will say a prayer that things will be better soon. Marge in pa.

     
  • At August 24, 2007 at 2:18 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    The stress you have in your fammily is not good at all. A friend lost his leg and after a year he was a lot like you DH. Very stubborn and making bad decisions. His wife had him put in a mental rehab type home and although he was livid he had no choice. She got her family back on track and by then her DH was much better and had learned to put this handicap in perspective. They are doing great now. Please tell the Drs. all you are having to deal with, they can help.

     
  • At August 24, 2007 at 4:22 PM , Blogger Jane in NC said...

    Taking care of yourself is more than a cliche. It no doubt involves drawing some lines in the sand. While I am very sympathetic with you DH's frustration and probable loss of self esteem he needs to find out that you are frustrated too and can do just so much before things really fall apart. Perhaps a bit more time with the counselor could make it easier for you to state your case. He needs to know what the stress and fatigue you are experiencing are doing to you as it would to anyone and that you will be no use to him or anyone else if you get sick. Perhaps he needs to do some reading about the effects of stress on one's immune and adrenal system. It can literally shorten your life. I do know that among folks over sixty, which I know does not strictly apply to you, the mortality rate among previously healthy family care givers exceeds that of the loved one receiving the care by an alarming 60%. My brother wouldn't listen to that (I'm on the board of the local country dept on aging so I know that is a valid statistic.) He believed it when the lady at the Alzheimer's Assoc office told him the same thing. While you guys are younger than that he, nonetheless, needs to understand that some concessions need to be made. That's what we all mean when we say take care of yourself. I agree with you that giving up the farm until he is functional enough to take care of it with occaional help from you is the way to go. He might stop reinjuring himself long enough to get healed up and get that prosthesis too.

    Sorry to dump my co-dependant thing on you and tell you how to run your life. We all care about both of you.

    Jane in NC

     
  • At August 24, 2007 at 4:27 PM , Blogger Mary in Oregon said...

    Hi Thea! Gosh it's good hearing from you! You are often on my mind.

    I'm sorry to hear that things aren't a bit better for you. Just know that many are thinking of you and supportive of you. Hugs...

    Thank you for taking the time to catch everyone up on your life!

    Take good care,
    Loads of hugz, Mary in Oregon

     
  • At August 25, 2007 at 10:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    How you can manage is beyond me. Watch out before you stretch yourself too far. You have all my sympathy and when my own little troubles rise to the top I will remind myself about how lucky I am.
    Milli in MA

     
  • At August 25, 2007 at 7:44 PM , Blogger mayme said...

    Thea, Thank you for catching us up on what is happening in your corner of the world. Sorry you are under so much stress. Will say a prayer for you,
    Mayme

     
  • At August 26, 2007 at 8:59 AM , Blogger Brenda in Nn Ontario said...

    Hugs to you, Thea. I'd been wondering how you were doing. I'm sorry things are so difficult. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers, as I'm sure many of us here will.
    Brenda in Nn Ontario

     
  • At August 26, 2007 at 12:45 PM , Blogger Jill from Portland said...

    Thea, I think about you so often.
    Thank you for updating us.
    I wish I could wriggle my nose & make your life easier. Seems unfair!
    Please know that you are in our prayers & hoping for the best for you & family. Jill

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home