WWQP Bulletin Board

Friday, August 24, 2007

For the Quilter Who Has Every Gadget But Likes to Look at New Ones Anyway

Our friend Holice is on the About.com forum as well as a visitor here and he is asking if anyone has tried using the new Oliso iron that lifts itself up off the ironing board. I had never heard of such a thing and so I had to go and take a look. It seems as though some engineer had another idea of how to protect a silly ironer from burning down the house .... when you take your hand off the iron's handle little feet drop down and lift the iron's sole plate up off the ironing board. I kid you not ... I would not make this up. Check out the Oliso iron at:

http://www.lifesastitchct.com/proddetail.php?prod=Oliso-TG-800

I certainly am not endorsing this new-fangled thing. I personally use an old vintage dry iron made by Sunbeam in the 1950s.

Judy in Ohio

7 Comments:

  • At August 24, 2007 at 6:11 PM , Blogger Linda, the Serial Quilter from Oxford, Ohio said...

    I've tried it. Not sure I like it. The first few times the iron lifted up, it scared me and almost made me jump. Also I'm in the habit of resting the iron on its end between ironing bits, and when I did it with that, the iron kept trying to lift itself up. I think I won't be buying it, but some may like it.

     
  • At August 24, 2007 at 8:11 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    From the photos on that website it looks huge and heavy. Did you think it was heavier than a "regular" steam iron?

    Judy

     
  • At August 25, 2007 at 10:52 AM , Blogger Linda, the Serial Quilter from Oxford, Ohio said...

    No, it didn't seem heavier than my Rowenta Professional, just slightly weird. I really jumped when the darned iron lifted itself the first few times---there's a slight noise with the lift that can be startling.

     
  • At August 25, 2007 at 10:55 AM , Blogger Linda, the Serial Quilter from Oxford, Ohio said...

    Also, you have to touch underneath the handle in order for the lift to turn off. I did a little testing to see what the trigger mechanism was, and unless I touched the darker piece of plastic/whatever underneath the handle, the lift did not disengage.

     
  • At August 25, 2007 at 11:19 AM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Not sure I would want an iron that "smart". LOL

     
  • At August 28, 2007 at 8:10 PM , Blogger Marge in Louisiana said...

    At a recent workshop one of our members had one. We had a good time making it lift itself, but as an iron none of us was overly impressed. It is a fun toy and actually works fairly well. I did not find it heavy enough to press the seams we were doing and the front was not pointed enough to open the seams.
    Marge in Louisiana

     
  • At August 28, 2007 at 10:04 PM , Blogger NancyH said...

    Never used one, haven't seen one in person, but Fons & Porter used one in their last PBS series. Don't know if they still use it since my PBS station isn't carrying them this season. But I also thought it looked huge. Might get more info from their website.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home