WWQP Bulletin Board

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Thank you

Thank you for spending so much time on my project. I figured I would have to square up the center somehow, but wasn't sure exactly how. I have plenty of fabric since I originally planned to back the quilt with the focus fabric. However, it now dawns on me that though the piece is 65" long it is only 44" wide at most. I was thinking smaller width crib quilt when I bought it. I guess I will have to reverse my process to now find out what size square to start with for the triangles. For the center itself, I knew the square size possibilities to figure out the diagonal. Now I will know the diagonal, but not the arms -- I was picturing having to come up with a triangle with extended side to accommodate the top and bottom margins.

I haven't bothered with quilty software either, tho I am intrigued by the planning possibilities. I figure I spend enough time on this stupid machine. Time spent on quilty software could be time actually making a quilt! I dropped one of the lists I was on and found myself with enough more time to actually read a couple books this summer and now make this small quilt. Considering we have been gone almost every weekend transporting kids somewhere or another, that is an accomplishment for me. I was expecting lots of free time with empty nest this fall, but middle ds has moved home to go to school locally. That's o.k.

Thank you again. It looks like I will be spending a few more hours on this!!!

3 Comments:

  • At July 31, 2007 at 4:48 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Judy, you have me puzzled now ... you originally wrote that the rectangle was 48" x 58" and now you are writing that it is 44" x 65. So ... if it's OK with you I'll remove my posting because it isn't suited to what you are working on.

    Judy

     
  • At July 31, 2007 at 6:42 PM , Blogger judy in ar said...

    NO, no no no. The rectangle IS 48 X 58. The piece of fabric I bought for the backing is 44 X 65.

     
  • At July 31, 2007 at 7:19 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Judy, I don't think you have to make those ABCD triangles from a square. Why can't you make them from a rectangle like I have sketched on my graph paper? Make paper patterns of the correct size triangles you really need and then tape them together so they form a rectangle. which might be 44"on the long side (if you hold your breath and cross your fingers LOL).

    Then you could use the remaining chunk of fabric (pieced for the 48" bands) easily. I think.

    Judy

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home