WWQP Bulletin Board

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Backing For That Cute Quilt




The sophisticated quilt planner uses quilting software like Electric Quilt 6 or Quilt-Pro but I am not patient enough to learn how to use the software. (I am ashamed to admit that I own Quilt-Pro but I grab my graph paper instead.)

Anyhow, Judy in AR, here's a quicky run-down and *approximate* guess at what you would need as I sketched it out on graph paper: one large piece of fabric larger than 20" x 40" as the source of four triangles to attach to your lovely on-point square (pieces A, B, C and D). Two strips larger than 4" x 40" to attach beside this completed on-point square (pieces E and F). Two pieces larger than 13" x 48" for the top and bottom (pieces G and H).

What I have plotted out here is not going to be any larger than your quilt front. My main goal was to show you how to get your on-point square filled out so it would become a square again. IMPORTANT!!! None of this planning is exact and none of these dimensions are precise!! I did not plan for seam allowances!!! This is only a rough sketch to help you figure out if you still have enough fabric so please don't come after me with a rotary cutter. LOL

Actually, it might be easier to buy an entirely different fabric for the backing and applique your on-point square in the middle of it. :-)

Judy

2 Comments:

  • At August 1, 2007 at 8:45 PM , Blogger NancyH said...

    Judy - Ain't technology grand?! Being able to scan graph paper to explain your instructions - whodda thunk? NancyH

     
  • At August 4, 2007 at 7:53 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Actually I don't have a scanner so that's that's just a close-up digital photo that I cropped. But you are right about technology being grand and so is Eric Traudt for giving us this great solution to our old BB that became so nasty ...

    Judy

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home