WWQP Bulletin Board

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Oldest Quilting "Virgin"?

As a "city slicker" child (remember my earlier mention of S.S.Kresge dimestores?) I grew up with a very talented mother who did her best to teach me the domestic arts (sewing, knitting, crocheting and tatting) so I learned the same skills as Marie. However, I went to college and became a teacher, I married and had children, etc. As an adult I gave my leisure hours to needlepoint and and counted-cross stitch because I did not wish to follow in my mother's footsteps. I passionately loved needle arts but in my own way. In her youth my mother was a 4-H prize winner at her Indiana county fairs for her dress making and quilting skills. She was a ruthless "judge" of my dress making skills (oh, those 22" zippers down the back of a dress!!) and we had too many battles over her Singer sewing machine. I would not even think of the idea of learning quilting from my mother so I did my own thing, did it very well, and I even did silk petitpoint work for hire. But too many fine stitches and other things interfered and the day came when I had to stop gripping those needles ....

When I called my mother on the telephone and told her that at age 52 I was teaching myself to make quilts on the sewing machine she snapped back and said that it would not be a real quilt if I used a sewing machine .....

How many of us have had that conversation? LOL

So, was I the oldest beginner quilter? Anyone older than me when they picked up a rotary cutter for the first time?

1 Comments:

  • At May 22, 2007 at 11:33 AM , Blogger Dotquilts said...

    Judy, I did not pick up a needle to quilt until I was 60+, still at it and love hand quilting. I also picked up a tennis racquet at 45 and actually became a good tennis player, not professional material but played well, competed with other women on teams and at tournaments. So late bloomers are some of the BEST! Dot

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home